Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Samuel William Hardwick(e) death pre 1881

sory about late reply. Thanks Moira looks interesting.

I am wondering if John was successful in finding the death and burial records for Samuel William Hardwick. I too have been searching and keep hitting a brick wall. If anyone can throw any light on this I would be most grateful to hear from them.

Thank you.

Jane

John, there is no doubt that you have the correct family in 1881. Her three children present on that census match perfectly with the GRO registrations of their birth years and mmn.
If he dodged bail in 1869 and was not found and brought back, presumably he changed his name, so a death registration would not show up under his real name.
Dave

Hi John,

From Moria's findings......

Sheffield Independent, 18 Aug 1869.
At the County Court, Sheffield. Samuel William Hardwicke and
Ainsworth Levick of Bank Street, Sheffield, Commision Agents.
Adjudicated Bankrupt on the 15th January, 1869.

I have the following in my tree that might be worth taking into consideration.

Charles Thomas Levick married Elizabeth Hardwick.
Sept qtr 1888 in Sheffield.

Do you have a link to this family John????

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Not found a death yet but will have another look. I might try and see if i can find the marraiges of the other children and if the certificates are on line see if that shows who the father is and if he was deceased or not. I still have a feeling that he is still in Sheffield,

John

From Jane Hardwicks tree on ancestry, Ellen died in Riding Northumberland Jan 1885.But his son Sam Hardwicke b 1868 must be Samuel Wesley b Sept quarter 1867 sheffield, mmn is Fish 9C 265.

But he died in Nov 1871 in Sheffield as Samuel Wisley Hardwick 9C 280.
From the GRO

Regards

Terry

Thank you for the info Terry. I wonder then with Ellen dying in 1885 Sam could have remarried. Thinking cap on time!!!!!!

I have just looked on FMP to see if I could find anything regarding Ellen's death and nothing is showing up. I was wondering therefore if anyone has access to Ancestry of British Newspaper Archives to see if anything is showing up on there. Thank you in advance

Ellen Fish Hardwick death reg q1 1885 Ecclesall Bierlow from GRO index. Her burial is on this site at city rd cemetery. She is alone in the grave. Her son William John Fish Hardwick is in a nearby grave with his wife Mary Ann and others. Wlliam John married in 1883 to a widow Mary Ann Barber nee Smith. Their son Ellis is also in a nearby grave at city road. . Both Ellis and his mother Mary Ann died at 12 Herries Road.
Dave
Edit, Samuel Wesley Hardwick age 4 buried at Bramhall Lane St Mary 30 Nov 1871 from Eyre st. If Father was around then you might expect he would have registered the death.

Hi John,

Did you see my question a few messages up re the Hardwicks????

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Sorry Elaine, I am not sure yet if I have a connection but I shall have a closer look next week. the tree is my cousin's tree and I am just curious to know why I can't find his death. On all the census he is just Samuel Hardwick but I assumed thats what he just called the enumerator on the night in question parden the pun but there is something fishy going on here I am sure of it

Right hold on to your horses as I might have made a major clanger. The person on my tree that got us here was EMMA HARDWICK she married Wilfred William Rhodes in 1880 and in 1881 she was living with William's brother Arthur it states that she was born in Sheffield but not found a birth in Sheffield with a MMN Fish. Nor a birth of a Emma Hardwick in Sheffield yet

The marriage cert states that her father was Sam Hardwick a traveller so I am now after all these years beginning to wonder if I have got her correct parents

Back to the drawing board so if anyone can find birth for a Emma Hardwick with father Sam be most grateful

I came to conclusion of her parents by going back through the census returns long before the day I was on line and using FMP I used the cds that S and N produced.

Sorry if after all this I have sent everyone on a wild goose chase.

Emma Fish Hardwick baptised in 1860 at Sheffield Cathedral parents Samuel William and Ellen. Obviously her birth was not registered unless a major clerical error on the part of the registrar.

Still not had any luck yet regarding his death. Daft question but could he have been buried in those days without a death certificate or could it be thats lets say he died and his body could not be identified what would have been recorded. John