Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moon Shine near Sheffield

I have just discovered the burial record for Isabel Winnell who was buried 13 May 1819. Her address at the time was given as Moon Shine near Sheffield. Her husband George was a cutler. I was wondering if anyone can provide any sources which might provide an insight into where Moon Shine was and the type of area at this time?

Your sincerely,
Bev Wilson
Melbourne Australia

Re: Moon Shine near Sheffield

Hi Bev, when I saw Moon Shine my immediate reaction was regarding the Real Ale produced by a local Brewery however Moonshine Lane (note all one word) is in the area of Shirecliffe a district of Sheffield. Hope this helps. Regards Barry Green

Thanks Barry. Most of my queries resulted in information about illicit alcohol. I'll now focus on one word and see the result.

Bev

Hi Bev, the alcohol reference is not illicit its what we refer to in the UK as real Ale brewed in the old fashioned ways, whilst I understand the other reference to it in the USA. You may or may not know that over here there has been a massive resurgence of small breweries producing exception beers.
Moonshine Lane has no connection to this it was and is an area of Sheffield. If you Google (Moonshine Lane Sheffield) there is a map of the area and lots more info on houses for sale etc.
Regards Barry Green

Greenwoods 1817 map of Sheffield is supposed to show an area called Moonshine. They do have the map at picturesheffield.com but the online image is too small and blurry to make out the details. Maybe you can get a full size copy from them though.

Heths

Side by side map,
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=53.4178&lon=-1.4789&layers=1&right=BingHyb

Hi
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345193

1855 map shows small hamlet called Moonshine SE of Southey on Moonshine Lane

Barry C.

An enormous thank you to all for your assistance. I now have been able to locate Moonshine.

Sincerely,
Bev Wilson