Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barnsley, Harrop & Silvester/Sylvester families

Hi David,
You suggested to Leisa that she could try to find a descendant of people in the photograph.
I am a descendant and the original photograph was given to me by my Aunt Jessie – centre front row. I passed the original to Leisa but have retained a copy myself.
My mother was Connie and is seated on her mother’s knee at the left-hand side of the photograph. Her mother’s name was Ellen Eliza Harrop (nee Sylvester), and her husband Charles is behind her. These, of course, are my grandparents.
At grandmother’s feet is Amy Sylvester Harrop, and to the right passing three children we come back to Jessie Harrop and next, supporting her, is her sister Dorothy – the only blonde amongst the seven sisters. Next is Leisa’s grandmother Maud Helen and then Muriel Harrop. The eldest sister, Cissie Alma, is the child standing at the extreme right of the picture.
Also in this photograph, but unfortunately I can’t remember where, is Ada Sylvester, my grandmother’s sister. It could be the one sat on the right with Cissie’s hands on her shoulders.
My Aunt Jessie gave me the original photograph over twenty years ago and pointed out the relevant people.
My mother Connie told me that the two men to the right of Charles Harrop were two of his brothers. However, I cannot swear to this.
Finally, I am sure that this photograph was taken in the spring of 1908 as my mother was born on 11th July 1907.

Elaine

that's right about the Barnsleys. George Barnsley had a huge factory and a couple of Barnsleys were Master Cutlers.

George Barnsley Tools - factory is derelict now but when I was there last week they have been doing some work there and I think they put in home units.

cheers

Dave,

My Arthur died in 1901. So the Arhur with Spick wife is not mine.

I have a few certificates on my tree I think but none I've needed to obtain as yet.

Which ones are you after?

Elaine

Charles and Ellen Eliza were married in the parish church now cathedral in Sheffield on 30/1/1894.

I have no baptism records for any of the Harrop girls.

cheers

Ok Leisa, thanks. That eliminates Arthur. Do you know what happened to George Barnsley Harrop. I cannot find a marriage. I have a death in his 70s if I am right.
I am working on the principle that you need to trace people who have photos of their ancestors who are on that picture. Those people alive today will be descendants of those children on the picture. Those descendants will, like you, be grandchildren of those small children. They could be anywhere in the world.. Therefore, if we can identify the names(without necessarily identifying them on the picture ) we may find people who have them as ancestors. Unfortunately they are almost all girls so that just makes it more difficult, but not impossible.
I have already identified one person, almost by accident. 10 years ago I contacted someone on Genes Reunited about one of our common ancestors in Sheffield. She allowed me to see her tree at the time. It turns out that in her tree she also has Henry And Elizabeth and some of those children I named. You may be able to contact her. I shall not name her on this forum. I shall send you a private email with those details.
Dave

Hi Leisa,

"Looking at original photo (which has names written on the actual photo) We have Ellen Eliza holding Connie. In front of her on the ground is Amy move 3 kids along and we have Jessie being held by god knows who. Next is Dorothy and then Ellen Maud."

As both grandmothers are called Ellen Eliza which one are you referring too?

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine

Only 1 is Ellen Eliza Nee Silvester Harrop

The others are Eliza and Elizabeth.

Eliza Condon
Elizabeth Barnsley

Hi
I am helping my Nanna follow up on some family history.
Her name is Patricia. And Cissie is her mother. I am unable to see the picture.

I've replied to you via your email.
cheers