Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Henry Adams of Sheffield, died 1906

Hi John and Elaine,

I have found quite a lot of information about Henry Adams.
Henry is mentioned frequently in the newspapers.
On the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census, the family are living at
119 Psalter Lane, Sheffield.

Henry and his wife Rebecca (nee ADAMS) are both buried in the
General Cemetery.

They had at least six children. Elizabeth b.1859, Herbert b.1862,
Ernest b. 1866, Henry b. 1874, Gladstone b.1876 and Gertrude b. 1877.

Following the lives of the children, going forward in time, will, I think,
be very difficult. Tomorrow. I will see if I can follow them through,
to at least the time of the 1939 register.

Are there any trees on Ancestry? I'm only on FMP at the moment.

Moira.

Thanks Moira. We don't have a lot to go on really and I haven't done any real research myself yet. If you take a look again on the Primitive Methodist Ancestors website at Henry's page, you will see a picture of a silver ceremonial trowel we have which was presented to Henry in 1893. This trowel only came to light when the last of my prior generation (father, two brothers and sister) passed away earlier this year and a whole load of family memorabilia came into my possesion as the new "elder" of our branch of the family.
We are therefore trying to link our East London branch of the family to Henry to see if we came into this article through the family and why? The only loose link I can trace so far is that one of Henry's sons who moved south but to the west country was made an honoury member of the Livery Company of Carmen in London around the 1930's. My Dad's younger brother Fred was made a member in the 1970's, but he died in the early 80's.
My father was George John, his two brothers were Fred & Terry and sister Iris.
His mother & father were George & Helen of Joshua Street Poplar E14.
I think his father was also a George, and my nan came from Orwell / Lowrie stock. We understand the Lowrie's cae down to London in the 1870's from South Shields........that's about as much as I can give you!
Best regards.........John

Hi John,

1939 register - 19 Joshua Street, Poplar, London.
George H. C. Adams, D.O.B. 22 Aug 1895, Lighterman & Waterman, married.
Ellen G. Adams, D.O.B. 1 Oct 1899, Shopkeeper - Retail general, married.
George J, Adams, D.O.B. 20 July 1924, at school.
Terrence Adams, D.O.B. 21 Oct 1926, at school.
Frederick Adams, D.O.B. 14 June 1930, at school.
This record closed. (Presume this is Iris K. Adams).

Moira.

Thanks Moira, yes that's our lot! George H.C, my grandfather. Presumably any relationship to Henry probably goes back a generation or two? All I know about grandad's father is that I think he was also either a lighterman or a tug skipper on the Thames and I think he drowned in an accident which put my grandad into a childrens home / orphanage somewhere in the East End.
I'm off to Sydney at the end of the week to see our youngest son, so probably won't do anything more for a few weeks now. My mother is still alive in her early 90's I'll see what she knows!
Cheers, John

Hi Elaine, sorry I didn't respond earlier. As you can see, I've been going back & forward on the forum with Moira and there is quite a bit of info there for you to mull over.
What I need to do is try to get more info on the 1-2 generations prior to my own grandfather where my knowledge is scant. Will keep trying!
All the best, John