Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stillbirth burial

Hi Kerry,

Have you found the birth registration?

I believe that "Stillbirths" are in a separate register and not open to the general
public. Maybe if you can find that it just might help. Do you know where the birth took place i.e. home or hospital?

Does Eckington have a General Cemetery and a special plot for very young children or babies?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

No, I can't find a birth registration, like you say it's a separate register. We are in the process of trying to find out if my mum is possibly this child's next of kin and then she can request a copy but that still won't tell me where she's buried.
Eckington does have its own cemetery and there is a section for infants as this child had an older sibling that died aged 1 day and she is buried in consecrated ground in the council owned section, therefore no headstone.
They lived in eckington all their lives and I'm pretty certain this child was born at home, given that the other child is buried there I thought this one would be too.
Eckington cemetery has its own records online which are a pay to view index, their surname was Bown and I've tried every variation of the name but it's not coming up with anything. If all else fails I'll go to the cemetery and ask them if they can look at their handwritten books.

Thanks

Kerry.

Kerry.

There won't be a problem looking at the registers in Eckington Cemetery. If you phone John Green the caretaker he will let you know when it is convenient to attend. I have often checked them.

Angela

Thanks Angela

Yeah, I've found them to be really helpful, I might just have to go and ask them if they could look for me.

Kerry