Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elizabeth Robinson

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried various sites to no avail, unless I've missed something. I've just looked at your burial records and she isn't there. They must have moved from Sheffield before Elizabeth died. The problem is where did they go from there? I'm still unable to find them in 1871. I was rather hoping a descendant of William and Mary Ann might point me in the right direction.

Regards, Val.

Hi don't know if this could be the Elizabeth you are looking for as the date of birth is a little different
Elizabeth Robinson age 42 Died 28th June 1867 buried 30th June 1867 in General Cemetery husband John Plater living Chester St Dave W

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately she may not be the Elizabeth Robinson I'm looking for as I have now found a baptism record for her which gives her date of birth as 24 June 1824 which would make her 43. I have made a note of your findings just in case I'm wrong about the above.

Regards Val

Valance, there are many examples of age at death being inaccurate. This is because the age at death was reported by someone present at the death. That person may not know the exact age. Or, if a close relative, they may be in a state of confusion.
The burial DaveW found is actually only inaccurate by a few days. Also, if you check GRO index for the registration of that death you'd will see she is recorded there as 40. So immediately after the death someone reported she was 40 and a few days later at the burial someone said she was 42. I
She died in hospital, so it is likely that the 2 ages came from different people. If she was very ill in hospital for more than a few days her husband may well have forgotten her birthday at the stressful time.
It is highly likely to be the correct death, because the husband seems to fit. The death cert may shed some light on the circumstances
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.

What is the GRO Index and how did you find out that she died in hospital?

I tend to go by what I find on various genealogy sites, or what I can find in the parish records at the family history archive in Barnsley for relatives who died in that area. I don't buy certificates as it is money I can't afford to waste if it's the wrong person.

Your advice is very welcome and has been noted on my tree.

Regards, Val.

Valanne,
First of all, sorry I made a mistake about the hospital. I had a senior moment and read Dave's answer of Gemeral Cemetery as General Infirmary
The GRO index is a free site run by the general registry office and provides birth and death details which cannot be found elsewhere.
That facts remains the same. Whoever reported the death said she was 40 and whoever had her buried said she was 42.
The certificate would tell you where she died and who reported it.
When doing family research it is sometimes necessary to buy certificates to confirm some facts which cannot be confirmed any other way.
Regards, Dave

Edit: in this case the info about her age given on the death cert is also on Free BMD

Hi Dave,

Thank you once again for your help. Will take your advice into consideration.

Regards, Val.