Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message for Elaine

Hi Elaine

I've just found this entry on the Schools Records and wondered if you still had the original copy and could decipher what is written in the remarks please.

Goddard, Joseph (Student, dob 12 Jun 1893).
Parent or guardian name(s): George Wm Goddard (~), of 20 Compton St.
Admitted to Bole Hill School, Bole Hill Rd, Walkley, Sheffield, as of 09 Feb 1903,
until 26 Jul 1906, reason for leaving: F 144. Previously attended Bow St Bd.
Remarks: ???rage boy.

I'm writing up the family history and could include this snippet of information.

many thanks

Jenny

Re: Message for Elaine

Hi Jenny

The image from this admission register is on FMP and the note is difficult to decipher. I would transcribe it more as "prize boy" there is definitely a "z" in the word not "g"

Angela

Hi Angela

thank you for your reply. I didn't realise these images were on FMP. Will take a look.

Jenny

Morning Jenny,

I see that Angela has already answered your question which is good as I no longer have the originals.

It was 2007/08 that we transcribed the schools.

One piece of information that strikes me as odd is the following:

"Previously attended Bow St Bd."

It doesn't ring any bells as being in Sheffield. Does the Bd stand for Bedford?? Bradford?? etc.

Elaine in a yet again soggy day.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

I found the image on FMP as Angela suggested. I was also wondering what Bow St Bd meant and I "think" it relates to the school which was the Central school on Leopold Street

"The school was extended between 1894 and 1899 with a building on Bow Street (no longer a road) to form an infants school with a roof-top playground".

Bd is an abbreviation of Board.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I used to walk on Leopold St every day for 6 yrs as I worked close to there in the early sixties. The only school I remember was the Sheffield Technical School or something like that.

Glad to see you have it all sorted out.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype