Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help on old picture

By jove i think i've got it.
http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Nimrod18/media/DSCN0818_zpsmxwthhcw.jpg.html?filters =145777937&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Terry

It looks spot on to me Terry - right down to the stained glass window
Well done.

Vicki

Terry, fantastic. There is absolutely no doubt. Am I being stupid? I can see the image but I cannot seem to find out what building it is. Please put me out of my misery.
Dave

I can't make that link work, how can I see the photo please?
Regards,
Marlene

Elaine or Angela, sorry I have lost the instructions on how to make it live. will one of you please oblige
Dave
PS Marlene .,in the meantime you need to copy the URL and paste it to your browser
I have now found that the building is Old Education building, back of St Leonards Square Hotel.

Terry, what a brilliant find

CORRECTION Back of Leopold Square Hotel
Dave

This is definitely the right location, many thanks. Where did you find it.

Instant Messenger: Photo

Thanks to Terry's great find the same building can be found on Picture Sheffield. See S24520 and C04371, 2,3 and 6
Dave

A wedding photo from 1915? Wow, I'd love to see it. the link does not seem to work however. I know it is an old post but if you have another link, I'd really appreciate it, thank you :-)

Good morning. Just to say that I got married at the Old Registery Office in Surrey Street in August 1970, so 50 years ago. It is now "The Graduate" pub. I left Sheffield in 1974 for Somerset and think that The Wedding Cake, Arundle Gate? was built after that.

Hi, just been checking on Google maps street view and there are still the Masonic symbols in the stonework on the Surrey Place side of the building. The door which was used by the Registry Office is the one on Surrey St with the very well cut stonework over the door.
Regards Barry Green

To answer Michael's question. I no longer have the picture so cannot re post it. However it was not a wedding photo in the normal sense. It was a photo of about 10 men grouped together in the entrance to a building and because of the presence of a few buttonholes and bowler hats and a straw boater (all on the ground) it was assumed to be after a wedding. The place (which was not the Registry office) was positively identified and it was assumed have been taken after nearby Registry Office wedding of the daughter of one of the men.
May I suggest to Michael that I am sure there are plenty of 1910 to 1920 wedding photos around with known provenance. If he starts a new thread requesting them I am sure that people will oblige
Dave

Hi Dave,
I still have the photo if you'd like me to send it again.
I never did identify the group nor why they're all together.
The only one I identified was my great grandfather Frederick Arthur Norton born 1871. His son Harold Norton was killed in WW1 in 1915 so I know it's not his son's wedding.
I couldn't find any other family member who married around 1915 so it's still a mystery.
Let me know if you'd like me to post the picture again, many thanks.

Regards,
Marlene C

Marlene, please send it to me to remind me what we found before.
Dave