Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Two questions

Hi Pat,

Just went and had a look myself and what used to be there is no longer there.

It was strictly for Family Historians and it gave what the rules were after 1837 and changes along the way.

I will keep looking but dont hold your breath. I am just Googling so you can do it also.

Elaine.

NOTE.

This site may give you a better idea of the legality of using the fathers name.

http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/help-getting-started-with-genealogy/guide-three/

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,

The registry office sent me a reply and said that if a woman was registering a birth, back in the early part of the last century, and said that she was married she would not have been asked to produce a marriage licence. So that answers that question. I still do not know about the court procedure around 1921 though.

Pat

Pat

I am just transcribing the Petty Sessions for Sheffield and a Parent did attend court if they were fined under the Education Act.

Some of the entries are for the issue of a warrant to attend court and the reason is given, usually as Not Paying Fine. There will be a closure on the 1921 records as they are less than 100 years old, but the newspapers might report it.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Yes, it was in the newspapers on 21st May 1920 but his name is one of many on a list of people who were fined for not sending their children to school. I'm trying to find out if he would have had to attend court for the judgement of this fine or if everyone on the list would have been sent letters perhaps. The thought did occur that perhaps a wife might attend in place of a husband who was working? What are your thoughts, please?

Thanks for replying Angela.

Pat

Pat.

The petty session records are headed:

Register of the Court of Summary Jurisdiction sitting at the Town Hall in the said borough.

Summons No, Name of Informant or Complainent, Name of defendant and age then Adjudication.

Looking at some of the previous entries under the Education Act a summons was issued so therefore they would have to attend court.

Angela

Oh that's great Angela. That's what I needed to know. Thank you so much.

Pat