Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help on old picture

I stand to be corrected - but possibly now called The Graduate pub?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3800472,-1.4672915,3a,75y,225.63h,96.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgLKftc6lbCYaFpqHi730pg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Your quite right Vicki thats the place that was the Masonic Lodge and The Registry Office. I don't get down that way so often now Barry

Hi Barry & Vicki,
That building doesn't appear to be the same one as in my photo. I know the building you mean though.
There aren't any lower ground floor windows as there are on my photo.
I have relatives who married in the Registry Office on Surrey Street during the 1960's before the "wedding cake" building was completed and, that's also not the same building as in my photo.

Regards,
Marlene

Hi Marlene,

If you bought the marriage certificate it will tell you where the marriage took place and it might give us a more accurate area to think about.

I believe there were a number of Registry Offices so it might pinpoint which one. If indeed it was a registry office.

I would say the Groom & Bestman are the two wearing the buttonhole flowers.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,

It wasn't a line I was following really even though it could be my great grandfather's brother on the photo.

A relative sent this photo to me, I identified my great grandfather Frederick Arthur Norton on the right (as you look at the picture).

My curiosity was around where the building was and why this group of men were being photographed there. Apart from 2 of them wearing buttonholes there are no clues.
I wondered if anyone knew the building and, a rough date and, whether it was normal custom for just the men to be on the photo (maybe a shotgun wedding and they're there to make sure the groom goes through with it!).

Dave very kindly rose to the challenge and then put together a scenario of the group which is highly likely.

Regards,
Marlene

My grandfather always had a buttonhole - I think it was common for men to wear one even when not at a wedding.

Hi Marlene,

Had a message from Dave with everything he has covered so I will leave it to the two of you to finish the "research". Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Dear All.
first of all thanks for the help in identifying that this picture was taken across the road from the old reg office on Surrey Street.
May I apologise that the main part of identifying this photo had already happened by the time I found a way to get it on the forum. Now we have a method, the next time it will be up there straight away.
I shall be removing the picture shortly, but if anyone else has a similar problem, just let me know and I shall help them get it up there.
If anyone wants to know more details of who and how on Marlene's picture, just contact me direct. The current situation is that there are 2 possibilities for the wedding and Marlene is getting the cert.
Regards, Dave

Sorry to reopen this thread but I love looking at old photos!
Am I right in that one of the possibilities for the building could be the Mechanics Institute? I'm confused then as if it is then where are the lower level windows in the photos I have found of the Institute in the photo that has been posted?
Also can I throw another spanner in the works? Why are their hats on the floor? Surely if the photo is of something as important as a wedding they would be wearing their hats or be holding them? Also why is one the gentlemen in the photo sitting on the floor? Also what is that on the floor to his right (our left as we are looking at the photo)
My thoughts are that it is just coincidence that two of the men are wearing buttonholes. I don't think its a wedding photo at all. I wonder if its some kind of work orientated photo? Maybe they are stood outside where they work, but then that opens up the question again of where is the photo taken then?

Hi Karen,
Many thanks for your input.
My great grandfather Frederick Arthur Norton born 1871 is to the extreme right of the photo as we look at it, he was a dry stone fork grinder all his working life.

I've no idea who the other chaps are other than speculation. My mum who's 91 and very astute has seen the photo and can only recognise her granda Frederick Arthur.

I also thought it strange that the men aren't wearing their hats and, it looks odd that one chap is sitting on the ground, very informal.

I'm convinced that identifying the background building will perhaps solve the reason the men are there!

Regards,
Marlene

Karen
In terms of the ground level semi circular windows see Picture Sheffield pictures W00522, Y03787 and S06452.
I believe the object on the ground is a straw boater (very much in fashion at that time).
Why the man sitting on the ground? Put yourself in the photographer's shoes. Suggest he set up a symmetrical group using the steps and opening available. If that sitting man was anywhere else (sitting or standing) it would not be symmetrical. That symmetry would also be a good reason for him to request removal of hats and not hold them. Did he made a mistake allowing them to be visible on the ground? He was probably concentrating on getting all the people fully in.
Dave

Hi Dave, just decided to google central library sheffield up came a picture which shows that the lower windows are oblong not arched so its not the library. Sorry to throw another spanner in the works its just to intriguing to let go.
Regard Barry Green

Thank you for that observation Barry. I've looked at so many Picture Sheffield buildings now I'm cross-eyed!
It does look to have that kind of area to it though.
My great grandfather who is on the right hand side as we look at it lived his adult life in Heeley/Meersbrook though was born in Grenoside as was what could be his brother George (speculation) in the middle of the picture.
I wish I was better with identifying dress of the time but, these would be working class men who were probably wearing their Sunday best.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Barry and Marlene,
The 3 pictures I have indicated on Picture Sheffield have the semi circular Windows. The captions indicate that the building is on Surrey street and was the mechanics institute (demolished in 1931). It also says it was the old library. Regardless of what it was called, can we agree that it is a very good likeness to the building in question, and it was on Surrey Street?
Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, of course. Thank you.

Regards,
Marlene C.

By jove i think i've got it.
http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Nimrod18/media/DSCN0818_zpsmxwthhcw.jpg.html?filters =145777937&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Terry

It looks spot on to me Terry - right down to the stained glass window
Well done.

Vicki

Terry, fantastic. There is absolutely no doubt. Am I being stupid? I can see the image but I cannot seem to find out what building it is. Please put me out of my misery.
Dave

I can't make that link work, how can I see the photo please?
Regards,
Marlene

Elaine or Angela, sorry I have lost the instructions on how to make it live. will one of you please oblige
Dave
PS Marlene .,in the meantime you need to copy the URL and paste it to your browser
I have now found that the building is Old Education building, back of St Leonards Square Hotel.

Terry, what a brilliant find

CORRECTION Back of Leopold Square Hotel
Dave

This is definitely the right location, many thanks. Where did you find it.

Instant Messenger: Photo

Thanks to Terry's great find the same building can be found on Picture Sheffield. See S24520 and C04371, 2,3 and 6
Dave

A wedding photo from 1915? Wow, I'd love to see it. the link does not seem to work however. I know it is an old post but if you have another link, I'd really appreciate it, thank you :-)

Good morning. Just to say that I got married at the Old Registery Office in Surrey Street in August 1970, so 50 years ago. It is now "The Graduate" pub. I left Sheffield in 1974 for Somerset and think that The Wedding Cake, Arundle Gate? was built after that.

Hi, just been checking on Google maps street view and there are still the Masonic symbols in the stonework on the Surrey Place side of the building. The door which was used by the Registry Office is the one on Surrey St with the very well cut stonework over the door.
Regards Barry Green

To answer Michael's question. I no longer have the picture so cannot re post it. However it was not a wedding photo in the normal sense. It was a photo of about 10 men grouped together in the entrance to a building and because of the presence of a few buttonholes and bowler hats and a straw boater (all on the ground) it was assumed to be after a wedding. The place (which was not the Registry office) was positively identified and it was assumed have been taken after nearby Registry Office wedding of the daughter of one of the men.
May I suggest to Michael that I am sure there are plenty of 1910 to 1920 wedding photos around with known provenance. If he starts a new thread requesting them I am sure that people will oblige
Dave

Hi Dave,
I still have the photo if you'd like me to send it again.
I never did identify the group nor why they're all together.
The only one I identified was my great grandfather Frederick Arthur Norton born 1871. His son Harold Norton was killed in WW1 in 1915 so I know it's not his son's wedding.
I couldn't find any other family member who married around 1915 so it's still a mystery.
Let me know if you'd like me to post the picture again, many thanks.

Regards,
Marlene C

Marlene, please send it to me to remind me what we found before.
Dave