Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mystery of the "Banks" twins.

This family is listed on Ancestry - several people researching the same family.

Hi Stuart,

Not had much luck with the twins yet.

Mary Beaumont, born 15 July 1803, bap 12 August 1804 at Bolton-upon-Dearne.
Parents - Joseph and Ann.

This was the only baptism I could find for Mary.

Moira.

Seems that the other trees on Ancestry are having the same problem.

Did you check out the marriages on FreeBMD.

I believe there is one in Sheffield in 1862,

If you take all the males listed and then go to the 1871 census and see if they have a Sarah as a wife that might help with a little bit of luck.

I didn't check out Eliza.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Stuart, An Eliza Banks married June qtr 1874 , Sheffield, 9c 490.
You should follow that up to see if its your Eliza.
A Sarah Banks married June qtr 1862 Sheffield 9c 431.
Is that your Sarah?
There is also a death of a Sarah Banks , Sept qtr 1861 Sheffield 9c 158. May be worth while checking that.
Good hunting, John

Hi Sue. yes thanks, I have been a member of ancestry for eight years & got quite a lot of info there & been in touch with the others researching the same name - unfortunately, they are like me & cannot solve the problem.

Thank you Moira. I do have that listing for Mary Beaumont from Bolton-upon-Dearne, as you say,it is the only one for that period, so I am fairly certain that she is the mother of the twins.

Thank you John, I will check along the lines that you suggest.I realize that the "B" in Sarah Beaumont Banks could have been dropped for marriage & other records which makes life a lot more difficult as there are quite a few that could be her.
Thanks for the suggestions for Eliza too.

Thank you Elaine.I will check on the BMD as you suggest.It does seem strange that both sisters seem to have vanished after 1861, but I will keep looking.

According to GRO the Sarah banks who died 1862 Sheffield was 1 year old so you can discount her.
Have you seen the grave on this site which contains many of this family, but not the twins.
Dave

Hi Stuart,

Marriage seems to be the likely cause of them disappearing. My tree has many ladies that seem to have disappeared as I can't find a suitable marriage without buying a certificate or doing the fingers crossed a looking in the 1871 census etc trick.

Not always easy but thats family history for you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you Dave T,

I think the grave you mention is in Burngreave cemetery - yes I do know of it & have in fact been to Burgreave to visit the plot which now does not have a commemorative stone anymore.

Stuart.

Stuart,
According to Family Search an Eliza Banks who was born in 1838 and whose father's name was John Banks, married Robert Owen Gardener in Bethnal Green London on 24th December 1865. According to GRO Index they had 2 children in Shorediitch over the next couple of years .
Dave

Hi Elaine,

I think that you are possibly correct that the girls got married. Possibly they had a double wedding at the same time, alas I have tried trawling through marriage records from all the available info that is available on the net without success, but as you say, that is the frustration of research.
Hopefully one day a lead will turn up - I live in hope !

Stuart.

Hi Dave, thank you for that info - I will look into that record.

The grave in Burngreave cemetery bye the way is defiantly my family grave.

Stuart.

Stuart,
You can search in Family Search for a bride name with father name. If you do that for the period 1861 to 1871 you get a list of marriages which you then can work through. There is another one for Eliza Banks in Manchester (married a Williamson). For Sarah there is a longer list but many can be eliminated on birth date or second name.
For each one you can then use GRO to find children which will help to find in censuses, which will identify where she was born
It is a lot of work, but you are looking for 2 needles in the same haystack.
Dave

Dave T thank you once again for the suggested leads which I will follow up a.s.a.p.
I very much appreciate the time that you have taken to check on these ladies.

We all know that long & sometimes tedious research can be frustrating, then again, it can turn up trumps occasionally - as you say I am looking for two needles in maybe one or even two haystacks,so hopefully with your help I might be lucky.

Thank you again.

Stuart.