Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surname Hughes

Hi Karen,

Ada Jeffcock Walker was baptised at St. George, Brook Hill, Sheffield.
The baptism is on the site, over on the left under parish records.
There is also, Harriet Walker, John Walker, Samuel Jeffcock Walker,
Sophia Jeffcock Walker and William Henry Walker.

Moira.

Hi Karen,

Don't know if this is your Ada, but found this on the 1901 census.

Workhouse, Strood Intra, Strood, Kent.
Ada Davies, Inmate, Widow, 32yrs, Domestic servant, born Sheffield, Yks.

Moira.

Hi Moira
I've come across this one too. I just don't know if it is her how she would have ended up in Strood? Her history of abodes is very much in this neck of the woods so Sheffield, Leeds, Macclesfield etc. I did look into the Davies connection and wondered if this could be the link as he wasn't from Sheffield I don't think. Or so family stories lead me to believe.
Thanks for your help
Karen

My apologies Dave as I forgot to reply to your question and only just realised!
Harold married a lady by the name of Ivy Guess and she is listed as the informant on his death certificate. Ivy was the daughter of Robert Guess and Carrie Wilcox.
Carrie Guess had the River Don Inn at the time of her death in 1949.

Still on with this conundrum ....
So, if Sarah Rebecca and Edward P Hughes married in 1917 and Edward was 29 then he would have been born circa 1888. I've looked on the census for a Edward born 188 with a father named Edward who is a publican and have drawn a blank. Any suggestions anyone please? Thanks in advance for any help.

Karen, would love to help but I have come up against a brick wall. Not only nothing on censuse, cannot find a likely birth record for him, nor for his father. Cannot find a likely marriage or death record for his father.
Not a hint of anything to go on
Dave

Hi Dave
I've drawn a blank too just hoped that a fresh pair of eyes might spot something I'd missed!
Thanks for your help

Karen,
If you are lucky you will get a clue when the 1921 census comes out. That is a long wait. Good luck.
Dave