Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surname Hughes

Hi Karen,

Edward and Sarah married at Christ Church, Attercliffe on 29th January,
1917. Edward was 29yrs old of 14 Brinsworth Street. He was an engineer
and his father was also Edward Philip Hughes, deceased, publican.
Sarah was 27yrs old of 141 Worksop Road. Father, Frank Belfield Jeffcock,
farmer.

I can only find two Hughes/Jeffcock birth registrations.
Alice K. Hughes, June Q 1922 (could the K. be the Kathleen/Kathrine).
Harold Hughes, June Q 1919. (See FreeBMD).

Moira.

Hi Moira
I am intrigued now as I have never found before details of Sarah's father. Both Sarahs and her brother Harolds birth certificate give their surname as Bellfield Jeffcock but name of father is blank. Their mother was Ada Jeffcock (unmarried at time of birth)
I knew he had to be called something Bellfield.
Can I be cheeky please if there are any marriage entries please of a Harold Jeffcock. I believe his shexcould gave been called Ivy. I'm intrigued to know if it lists the same father's name?
Thank you so much for your help so far. You've no idea how grateful I am.

Hi Karen,

Harold's marriage is not online, sorry.

1911 census - 60 Gloucester Street, Sheffield, Ecclesall.
Sarah Rebecca Belfield Jeffcock, boarder, 22yrs, Shop assistant, sweets,
born Macclesfield, Cheshire.
She is boarding with Arthur and Jane Makins.

1901 census - 27 Ardmore St, Attercliffe-cum-Darnall, Sheffield.
Sarah Jeffcock, 12yrs, niece, born Macclesfield, Cheshire.
She is with John and Mary Webster.

1891 census - Albert Vaults, Mill St, Macclesfield, Cheshire.
Charles Jeffcock, head, mar, 60yrs, Licensed Victualler, born Attercliffe,
Sheffield.
Amelia Jeffcock, wife, 62yrs, born Leeds.
George Jeffcock, son, 16yrs, barman, born Leeds.
Ada Jeffcock, dau, 22yrs, Silk finisher, born Sheffield, Yks.
Florence Fendal, granddaughter, 16, barmaid, born Macclesfield, Cheshire.
Sarah Jeffcock, granddaughter, 2yrs, born Macclesfield, Cheshire.

1881 census - Bramley Hill, Bramley, Leeds.
Charles Jeffcock, 50yrs, engine driver, born Sheffield.
Amelia Jeffcock, 51yrs, born Leeds.
Ada Jeffcock, 12yrs, born Sheffield.
George Jeffcock, 6yrs, born Leeds.

1871 census - Dundas Street, Stanton, Hartlepool.
Charles Jeffcock, 40yrs, engineer? railway, born Sheffield.
Amelia Jeffcock, 41yrs, born Leeds.
Samuel Jeffcock, 13yrs, Born Sheffield.
Ada Jeffcock, 3yrs, born Sheffield.
Willie Jeffcock, 1yr, born Sheffield.

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thank you for the info you have my family to a tee!
Sarah was the daughter of Ada Jeffcock who was the sister of Mary Elizabeth Webster ne Jeffcock. I believe but have yet to prove that Ada died young hence Sarah living with her auntie and also lodging with the Makins.
I searched for years for the 1871 entry you found as it had been mis transcribed.
Thanks again for your help

Karen,
It looks like Harold died in 1942 in Blackpool. Like Moira I can find no marriage for him.
Are you aware of his Ww1 service papers available on FMP?
Dave

Hi Dave
You are correct that he died in Blackpool. I have a copy of his death certificate. I didn't know about his WW1 papers on FMP however as I'm not a member
Thanks for your help
Karen

Karen, there is a marriage in 1899 Q2 Leeds for Ada Jeffcock. She married either James Robinson or John William Davies.
The army papers for Harold name his NoK as Sarah his sister who lived in Attercliffe, so presumably Ada died before he joined up in 1914. He was discharged sick. There must also be a medal card for him, which must include 15 star.
Dave
Update: An Ada Robinson died Leeds in 1917 age 52

Hi Dave
I cannot remember why but Ada Davies is ringing a bell. I cannot find my notes at the moment. I think I also found the death of an Ada Davies. I think I will take a look on the 1911 census.
Thanks
Karen

I'm thinking the 1901 and 1911 census would be good places to start. Try to find a John William Davies with a wife Ada. Or similarly a James Robinson. Ada was born either Sheffield or Leeds.
Thanks

You will find Ada's birth record on the GRO Index.
Dave

Hi Dave
I have her details already. It's what happened to her 1901 onwards where I'm struggling.
Thanks

Hi Karen,

You state you have Ada's information so you know where she was born and when.

Thats basic info to let us have. Especially where there is a common name such as Hughes.

Quite often when one does research you have to go back before you can come forward and any info you have would help.

But..... I have also learnt to check the information being given as in the beginning I would spend hours looking for a person or family to find it was incorrect info.

Using FreeBMD, the GRO Index and of course the Sheffield Council BMD Index is a must.

I am sure the "gang" will try and help you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi
I know that Ada was born in 1868 in Sheffield. She was baptised I believe at St Phillips. Her parents are Charles and Amelia Jeffcock. The family as mentioned earlier appear on census from all over the UK. The family moved all over from Sheffield to Leeds,55 to New Hartlepool to Macclesfield and Bramley. Ada disappears it seems from the 1901 census onwards. There is the marriage in 1899 of an Ada Walker Jeffcock which I know to be Ada as she also used to use the name Walker Jeffcock or Jeffcock Walker. This was due to the illegitimacy of her father Charles. His mother's maiden name was Mary Walker, his father (named on a Bastardy Bond) as Samuel Jeffcock.
Ada had 2 x illegitimate children Sarah and Harold also mentioned before. Sarah married into the Hughes name. It's believed she and her husband ran a guest house. Harold i know married a lady whose family were in the pub trade. There is also a rumour that he managed the Attercliffe Palais de Danse, a roller skating rink in Sheffield.
That's all I really know at the moment. A lot is hearsay.
Thanks again for all and any help.
Thanks
Karen

Karen, thank you for that summary. Very enlightening.
Are you aware that Harold was living in Sheffield in 1939 (see 1939 Index on FMP). Without a subscription you can see that and that he was in a household called Guess.
Who reported his death please?
I think you need the marriage cert for Ada in 1899. From that we will have a chance to find what happened next.
Dave

Hi Karen,

Ada Jeffcock Walker was baptised at St. George, Brook Hill, Sheffield.
The baptism is on the site, over on the left under parish records.
There is also, Harriet Walker, John Walker, Samuel Jeffcock Walker,
Sophia Jeffcock Walker and William Henry Walker.

Moira.

Hi Karen,

Don't know if this is your Ada, but found this on the 1901 census.

Workhouse, Strood Intra, Strood, Kent.
Ada Davies, Inmate, Widow, 32yrs, Domestic servant, born Sheffield, Yks.

Moira.

Hi Moira
I've come across this one too. I just don't know if it is her how she would have ended up in Strood? Her history of abodes is very much in this neck of the woods so Sheffield, Leeds, Macclesfield etc. I did look into the Davies connection and wondered if this could be the link as he wasn't from Sheffield I don't think. Or so family stories lead me to believe.
Thanks for your help
Karen

My apologies Dave as I forgot to reply to your question and only just realised!
Harold married a lady by the name of Ivy Guess and she is listed as the informant on his death certificate. Ivy was the daughter of Robert Guess and Carrie Wilcox.
Carrie Guess had the River Don Inn at the time of her death in 1949.

Still on with this conundrum ....
So, if Sarah Rebecca and Edward P Hughes married in 1917 and Edward was 29 then he would have been born circa 1888. I've looked on the census for a Edward born 188 with a father named Edward who is a publican and have drawn a blank. Any suggestions anyone please? Thanks in advance for any help.

Karen, would love to help but I have come up against a brick wall. Not only nothing on censuse, cannot find a likely birth record for him, nor for his father. Cannot find a likely marriage or death record for his father.
Not a hint of anything to go on
Dave

Hi Dave
I've drawn a blank too just hoped that a fresh pair of eyes might spot something I'd missed!
Thanks for your help

Karen,
If you are lucky you will get a clue when the 1921 census comes out. That is a long wait. Good luck.
Dave