Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Info needed

Hi ,i'm trying to find out some info about a member of my family. i was originally looking for my g.g.m Elizabeth Fisher , born in 1881 , i found her on the 1881 census with her parents Isaac and Mary then on the 1891 census living with Abraham Hallam and her mother Mary but by the 1901 census there are two other children living with Abraham and Mary called Lily and Arthur D Oven (could be Hoven?) its say G.Daughter and G.son, Lily was born in Ireland in 1890 and Arthur in Hampshire in 1895, what i'm trying to find out is who their parents were?
Any help and information will be gratefully received
Thanks in advance

Re: Info needed

Hi Ann,

Could the surname be Hover?.......Hovers?.

Have you tried putting Abrahams family group together before 1901. Looks more like Oven
to me. They lived on Hollis Croft at this time. Ooops I see Moira has come up with a good explanation.

BUT you could also check my suggestion out.

They could be a daughters children with both their parents being deceased.

Have you checked the GRO index out for Arthur it will give the mothers maiden name.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Ann,

There is a burial, 14 April 1902 at St.Philip's.
Arthur Ovens aged 6yrs, son of the late David Ovens, 17ct 1 Scotland Street.

There is a marriage at York, Q4 1885 to either Annie Fisher or
Alice Barker.

On the census, Mary gives her birth place as York.
Could the above be a relative of hers.

Moira.

Hi Moira, i think you have found the right Arthur, he was living at scotland st in 1901. i've got a Ann Fisher on the 1871 census but not on any of the others so its possible that she could have married ?

Yes it is the right Mary

Thanks for the info

Regards Ann

Hi Elaine, thanks
it looks like moira has found the Arthur i was looking for, but i will look up the info on the GRO
Regards
Ann

Ann I found a marriage for a Abraham Hallam to a Mary Fisher in 1891 (Sheffield) There are 2 children Lily Hallam born in 1896 Ecclesall Bierlow
and a Arthur Hallam born in 1891
Barry

Hi Ann,

From the Anglo/Boer War Records.

David Ovens, Private 40246 of the Ashburner's Light Horse.
Killed 07-03-1902 at De Klip Drift.

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thank you for that info, it seems to tie in with the previous information you found.

Regards
Ann

Hi Barry, i've got that information but thank you for going to the trouble of looking it up for me

Regards

Ann

Hi Ann,

I have found a marriage between a Lilian Jean Ovens to a Verdon Smith,
25 Dec 1912 at St. Luke, Hollis Croft.
She gives her address as 17/3 Scotland Street and that her father
was David Ovens (deceased), farrier.

This would tie in with the David Ovens who was in the
Ashburners Light Horse.

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thank you for that information, yes it does tie in with the previous information. i actually found a birth for lilly in ireland but i assumed it was the wrong one until now, you have confirmed her full name so i'm certain it is the right one

Thank you
Regards
Ann