Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broadhead Clan

Hi, I'm hoping there is someone out there with Broadhead's in their tree who can help. I am stuck trying to find the second wife of Joseph Broadhead b. 1842 in Sheffield. He originally married Ellen Marriott nee Carnall in 1867 but she died leaving him with a daughter Eleanor Broadhead b.1877. In 1881 Joseph and Eleanor are living 84 Broad Street where Joseph is running a greengrocery business. He continued living there at 84 & 86 Broad Street, running the greengrocery business and fishmongers until his death in 1908. However my problem is that he remarried sometime between 1881 and 1882 to a Mary Ellen ????? They went on to have 6 children with Mary Ellen finally dying in 1943 at 19 Queen Mary Road (deaths on this site).

I have searched and cannot find a marriage for them. The 1911 census for Mary Ellen showed that she had been married for 30 years making it around 81/82. The only marriage I can find for a Joseph Broadhead was in 1876 to a Mary Devany but it doesn't make sense since Joseph was on his own in 1881 (except for Eleanor). Does anyone have Joseph in their tree who could help?
Wendy W

Re: Broadhead Clan

Hi Wendy,

I used the GRO index and this is all I could find for Eleanor Broadhead.

BROADHEAD, ELEANOR DEVANY
GRO Reference: 1877 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 523
BROADHEAD, ELEANOR SIMPSON
GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 188
BROADHEAD, ELEANOR YATES
GRO Reference: 1879 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 386

So that 1876 marriage could be correct.

Elaine in Ottawa.

NOTE.
BROADHEAD, Mary (, died on ?, at the age of 26y).
Resided at Broad Street Park and buried on 14 Aug 1879 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Michael Cemetery, Rivelin.
Notes: . Place of Birth: . Parent(s): .

Could this be Mary Devany?

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello

Her surname should be WILD.
I took the names of their children from 1891 census: Minnie, Ada and Joseph and looked up their births on GRO site - which named her as WILD.

However, I can find no obvious marriage.

Anne

Hi Elaine,
I found that birth for Eleanor too but on FMP and the original pages it only shows Eleanor Broadhead, no mention of Devany. That would confirm Eleanor's birth mother who I thought was Ellen Carnall/Marriott. Still can't find the surname for Mary Ellen though born in 1857. Will keep looking.

WendyW

Hi there,

The GRO index now shows the mothers maiden name... have a look at it.

That fitted in with the burial at St Michaels (RC) so she (Devany) could have been Irish.
As you know Sheffield had a very very small Catholic population.
Hope I am not leading you astray........ As if I would. LOL.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,
Thanks for the GRO, shows I'm out of touch, forgot all about that one now. Thankyou and yes Mary Devany, although born in Sheffield, her father Anthony was Irish. She married at Wicker Parish Church so not a devout Catholic but was still buried in Roman Catholic Burial Ground.

Just going to set about finding Mary Ellen Wild now and then problem solved. Thankyou again.

WendyW

Hi everyone,
problem solved. I have found the marriage! Good job I like detective work! She married as Polly Wild at Christ Church Fulwood on 21st December 1881....Joseph Broadhead has been transcribed as Browhead but everything fits, got a copy of the register from FMP and could be seen as Browhead but he's a greengrocer living Broad Street, Sheffield Park etc. etc.

Thank you all for your help.

Wendy W