Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elizabeth Annie Barnsley b April quarter 1848

Leisa.

The birth index only gives her name as Elizabeth BARNSLEY with the mother's maiden name CAWKWELL.
see https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

There is a marriage at the parish church (cathedral) 3 Sept 1866 for an Elizabeth BARNSLEY aged 19 to Joseph SHAW and her father is listed as Charles BARNSLEY Cutler.

Angela

Thank you

Just a bit of information not sure if it is any use, but Dodworth is an area in Barnsley South Yorkshire.

I have just been directed to this thread by a friend so the response is a little late. Charles Barnsley and Elizabeth Cawkwell were my 2x great grand parents.
Their daughter Elizabeth who married Joseph Shaw was my great grandmother. The Barnsley's were in Sheffield from the 1500s and were cutlers and farmers from that time. They were involved in the foundation of the Hallamshire Cutlers and Charles along with his brother George foundered the firm of George Barnsley and Sons who made tools for leather workers. In a reduced form it is still going and owned by my fourth cousin Colin Barnsley . George andCharles both started their married lives in Allen St. Elizabeth was Charles second wife.
Please do contact me direct if you want more information

G'day Pauline

If I recall correctly you wrote a book Forging History - I bought that book.

I'm related through George Barnsley 1810-1874 He is my great grandfather x 3.

I have a tree on Ancestry - do you?

I would love to be in touch with you.
cheers
Leisa

violentfemme181@hotmail.com