Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Godparents

Hi Carol

A birth certificate will not name the godparents. In my experience and many years of looking at fiche at the archives, it only appears to be the Roman Catholic registers were the godparents are listed.

I think the reason it is showing a field for godparents on here is to do with the format for all the church baptisms.

Angela

Carol,, this has been explained several times on this forum. There is no item with regard to godparents in your record. If you look carefully you will see a ~ after godparents. That means the godparents field is empty. The page number etc refers to the baptism record.
Also you will not find godparents on a birth certificate.

Elaine, This one comes back regularly. I wonder if this problem could be removed by putting a carriage return between the 2 fields. Is that easy to do?
Dave

Many thanks Angela for your helpful reply it is much appreciated.

I am sorry to be so troublesome Dave, i have never seen the question i asked posted before. i won't do it again!

Carol, my aplologies if you think I was in any way chastising you. That was certainly never the intention. It is a perfectly understandable mistake to make because of the way the record is presented. Many people ask the same question. Because it keeps coming back I would like to find a simple way to take the problem away.
Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

I think we should be able to do it but will have Dave see if it can be done.

Dont want to mess up all the baptisms that we have transcribed. I think it needs a Tilde placed there so folks will know there is NO further information.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Carol,

Of course the majority of baptisms have the godparents with a Tilde meaning there is no other information on the Godparents. Its only with the RC ones that will have the godparents names.

DaveN has checked out the blank space re godparents and out of the 373717 Baptismal transcriptions we have transcribed about a third of them just have an empty space. He will try and rectify this with a Tilde ~...........

Hope I have explained it clearly for you and never be afraid to ask a question. We all have to start somewhere.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

thank you Dave T and Elaine, yes I understand now. I was being too hopeful thinking i had found another piece of the family jigsaw.
many thanks.

Hi Carol/DaveT,

DaveN has fixed the offending blank space (godparents) with a Tilde so one and all
now know the Tilde ~ means no other information.

Elaine in Ottawa.