Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Selby & Amelia Liscom married in 1818 (information)

James Selby married Amelia Liscom
I Would be interested to see if there is further information on either James or Amelia??

James Selby:-
Baptism Date 08 May 1795
Baptism Place Cathedral Saint Peter,Sheffield,York,England
Father Alexander Selby
Mother Mary
FHL Film Number 919419

Marriage Date:30 Nov 1818
Marriage Place:Cathedral Saint Peter,Sheffield,York,England
Spouse:Amelia Liscom
FHL Film Number:919328, 919329, 919360, 919361, 919362

This is the only records I have found on Ancestry
I tried to see if perhaps her name may have been Emily with different spellings of liscom, no luck
I tried to find an 1841 census, also burial records for James & Amelia again no results
Thanks Barry

Re: James Selby & Amelia Liscom married in 1818 (information)

Barry

This looks like the burial of Amelia.

SELBY Amelia 8 Aug 1822 aged 38 of Sheffield,Crookesmoor, wife of James (cutler)SS Peter & Paul (Cathedral)

Angela

Barry,
Bradfield Archives has one record for Amelia LISCOMB. She is included in a list of casual poor in 1818. There is no record for James Selby.
Dave

Angela the record you sent is a great help. I noticed she was married by Banns. It says on your record the 13th November, so this must have been when the Banns were read. The ancestry record says the 30 November.
Would there be another Marriage record for the 30 November, please.
Going by the burial record she must have been born abt 1784?
I tried putting in Liscom married to a Amelia to see if there was a surname??
In the grave does it happen to mention any other person who may have been related??
Its a great start to help with research
Barry

Dave is there any date, trying to figure out whether James may have been in the same place before they married??
Barry

Barry

The record is of the marriage and it actually states 30 November not 13....get those glasses checked.

There are no sections or grave numbers for the cathedral burials, I expect they were lost as the burial ground closed in 1855.

There is only 1 burial for a James SELBY in the transcriptions I have and he was buried 7 Feb 1837 aged 39 of Green Lane at St Georges. I doubt that this is the James you are looking at because of his age.
Angela

Angela sorry about that, mentioning the glasses they are Tri focals so I was probable looking through the wrong part of the lense.
Appreciate all your help
Barry

When Amelia Liscom married James Selby, she was a widow.

When James was baptised in 1795, Alexander Selby, his father, was
a scissorsmith. He is possibly one of the apprentices/freemen in the
left hand column.

Moira.

Update: The 'widow' part is now a bit worrying.
Anthony Liscomb aged 11 months, buried 28 November 1816, at Sheffield
Parish Church, mother is Amelia.

Moira.

Barry, take a look at the Bradfield Archives, freely available on line.. The record is strange. She is the last name on a long list of Casual Poor. All the others in the list have weekly sums of money associated with them but Amelia is added at the bottom and is opposite the total sums. The dates are between 19 th June and Mid July. It looks like Amelia is a later addition in a different handwriting to the rest. Also her abode is unknown to me. It looks like Barbers nook County. All the other abodes listed are familiar places.
Dave

Moira, I believe I have found the reference to Anthony, spelt different!!!
If this is correct perhaps Ebenezer died in 1816???
Barry

Name:Anthony Leskham
Baptism Date:24 Mar 1816
Baptism Place:Cathedral Saint Peter,Sheffield,York,England
Father:Ebenezer Leskham
Mother:Amelia
FHL Film Number:919328, 919329, 919360, 919361, 919362

Hi Barry,

It's looking as though Amelia was a widow when she married James Selby.

Ebenezer Liscam aged 23, of Sheffield, buried 13 June 1816 at
Sheffield Parish Church.

Moira.

Update: Marriage at Sheffield Parish Church, 13 August 1815.
Ebenezer LIXON to Amelia Wilkinson.

Moira.

Moira that's great, now if I could find out when James Selby died??
I wonder if there is a second marriage, there is a couple of census with a wife Elizabeth??
At least I have an occupation and now I may be able to find a census and perhaps a burial
Many thanks Barry

Barry, as Angela said there is only one James Selby death and that is 1837 age 39. I cannot find a James Selby of anywhere near the right age in the censuses. Of course he could have left the country. However I think there is a very good chance that the one Angela found is the right one. If he did not re marry, then when he died, who would report the death and how would they accurately know his age? His wife had been dead for 15 yrs and there cannot have been many, if any, children. In such circumstances I believe that 3 years out on estimated death age is not excessive.
Dave

Dave thank you for your help, as you mention about the only James Selby, this is the only death I have come across. I will enter it with a post script to be verified.
Thanks to everyone again for all their help
Barry

Dave T
Barry, take a look at the Bradfield Archives, freely available on line.. The record is strange. She is the last name on a long list of Casual Poor. All the others in the list have weekly sums of money associated with them but Amelia is added at the bottom and is opposite the total sums. The dates are between 19 th June and Mid July. It looks like Amelia is a later addition in a different handwriting to the rest. Also her abode is unknown to me. It looks like Barbers nook County. All the other abodes listed are familiar places.
Dave

Barber Nook is at Commonside......I think its still there. Just off the main road from town to Walkley.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Barry, Ebenezer Liscam is in the apprentices list to the left. He was apprentice to a knife maker in Stannington. He started in 1804 for 8 yrs and apparently did not purchase his freedom. Presumably he carried on working for his master.till he died in 1816.
Dave
PS Elaine thanks for the location of Barber Nook. Still do not know what the third word is (County?)

Dave thanks for the information. I have e-mailed Bradfield for the information on Amelia and any further information, they are supposed to get back to me
Barry

Hi Dave,

Could it be Crookes? Barber Nook was just off Barber Road which is the Hill going up to Commonside. From my A-Z map Barber Nook is still there but a very much smaller Nook than I remember.Crookesmoor starts at the bottom of the hill.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine, yes I agree, definitely Crookes with a flourish of a tail on the S. Thanks
Dave

Dave I have just received a mention from the Bradfield Archives, Just a quick update on their findings.
Thanks to all on Sheffield Indexes for their help
Barry

I have checked the original book/record for image 25656 and can confirm that the year is 1818 and her residence is Barber Nook, Crookes which is still there in western Sheffield