Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Percy Edwin Allen and Edith Barnsley

Hi Dave

Not necessarily, it would all depend on whether Jane tried to claim from the father. It could be that William ALLEN was his father as Percy adopted his name.

The Sheffield Petty Sessions we are transcribing only exist from 1882.

"Though Sheffield was not granted its own Court of Quarter Sessions until 1880, a separate Commission of the Peace was granted in 1848. Unfortunately, the early registers for this period do not appear to have survived."

Angela

Hi Leisa,

Edith Barnsley, daughter of Joseph and Emma, of Oxford Street, manufacturer.
Born 13 Oct 1868, Bap. 24 Oct 1869. Sheffield Cathedral.

Moira.

Angela,
My understanding of bastardy bonds is that they did not depend on whether the mother wanted to claim from the father. If an unmarried woman (that is a female of at least 21 yrs of age) had an illegitimate child then the overseers stepped in because that child was likely to become chargeable to them. Therefore they do everything to find the father. They carry out a bastardy examination to find the father and issue him with an order to pay the parish. It does not matter what the woman wants to do. The overseers then pass payment on to the mother only if she looks after the child.
Incidentally if the female is under 21 then the child is judged to be the financial responsibility of her father and no bastardy examination need be made.
In this case the child was born two years before she married Allen, so the overseers should have carried out a bastardy examination very shortly after the birth.
I do have an example of a bastardy bond being issued and then curtailed with the statement "married the woman".
I have a second example where the woman was examined and stated that she was unable to identify the father (and gave a very detailed description of how she met him very briefly).
Dave

Hi Dave.

By 1863, she could probably look after herself. The overseers of the poor were replaced by the workhouse guardians after 1834, but if the wasn't reliant on the workhouse then there would be no reason to involve them.

Angela

Angela, thanks. Once more I learn from you
Dave

Thank you to everyone who contributed