Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elizabeth Taylor - Burngreave Cemetery

Hello Claire
It is Elizabeth but she has been entered in the Burial Register as Ann, then crossed out and in faint pencil, the word Elizabeth written above. Johnathon Taylor is also in this grave.
I will arrange to have the entry amended. regards, Christine

There is an inscription recorded for this grave.

C/Z3-30 I L M O ELIZABETH beloved wife of JONATHAN TAYLOR who died December 16, 1902 age 69yrs. Also of the above JONATHAN TAYLOR who died October 29, 1920 age 85yrs. Also EDWARD HOBSON much loved husband of EDITH MARY HOBSON w fell asleep in Jesus October 1, 1941 age 77yrs. Thy will be done O Lord. Also EDITH MARY beloved wife of EDWARD HOBSON w fell asleep in Jesus June 21, 1953, age 88yrs.

Hi Christine,

Many thanks for looking in to this. Sadly its turned out not to be my Elizabeth Taylor so back to the drawing board for me. Glad though that its highlighted a transcription error and can be amended :)

Claire

Hi Claire
Is your Elizabeth Taylor nee Riley b 1868? I don't have a burial for her, but she is married to George Henry Taylor and is my 2nd great aunt.

Hi Amanda,

Many apologies for the late reply, I moved back to Sheffield at the weekend so not been around on the computer.

No she isn't that Elizabeth sadly. She's the Elizabeth Beckitt born 1834 who married Louis Karpinski who after 1861ish disappeared in to thin air with their son and then Elizabeth lived as the wife of George Henry Taylor from around the mid 1860s. They actually did marry in 1899. She must have felt confident Louis wasn't going to turn up at that point. She's on the 1901 census with one of her children, George is in the workhouse as just Henry Taylor. I cannot locate either after this census. I assume she died but not yet found the right death or burial for her.

Regards, Claire