Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thomas Wilson - 1778 Wadsley

Hi John,

Thanks for the information, would that be at St Mary's ? That way I can try to dig further.

Thanks

James

I am not sure what the name of the church is at Ecclesfield, I think it is called St Mary's though but other people might correct me if I am wrong. John

Hi

The church at Ecclesfield is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.

The original baptism registers are available from 1599 and marriages from 1558. Bradfield St Nicholas was also a chapelry in the parish of Ecclesfield until 1868 when it became a separate parish.

The Ecclesfield registers don't list the mother's name until after 1813 when the new registers were introduced (George Rose Act) These were separate registers for baptism, marriage and burials.
Angela

Hi James,

I am also a Wilson researcher. Mine start in Ecclesfield/Grenoside.

I do remember that family in Wadsley as I originally thought it was mine. Bearing in mind that Wadsley could mean Wadsley Bridge as there is certainly a family there on the very early census.

I also have a number of Thomas Wilsons and one baptised 28th June 1778 but from Grenoside.

If I can help at all please dont be afraid to ask.

Elaine in Ottawa. Canada.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi James and Elaine
One of my direct ancestors is Hannah Wilson, born 1789 in Ecclesfield. She married William Fearn on 23 Apr 1810 in Ecclesfield and died 2 Jan 1858 in Wadsley Bridge.

I would be interested to know if she connects in with either of your family trees.
Kind regards
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Great to hear from you. I am sure we will be related. The Hannah I have currently in my tree was baptised in 1891. To parents John Wilson & Elizabeth Parkin. John was a nailmaker. At the time of the baptism they lived at Lane Head Ecclesfield.

Does that look like it could be her?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,
I'll take a look and see if it could be the same Hannah. I'll send you a message privately once I've done that.

Do you have a tree or DNA results on Ancestry?
M

Hi Maureen,

The tree is on Ancestry but a closed version.

BUT. if you click on the Website that is at the side of my e-mail address it will take you to Tribalpages..
Scroll down the page past the map click on the W which will take you to my Wilson & Woodhouse family.

You will find the Hannah who was baptised 1791 there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine
Thank you for the info. I'm sure it's the same Hannah Wilson . I've sent you an e-mail
Kind Regards
Maureen

Wonderful.........