Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: bastardy records around 1889

Hi Barry

According to records on Find My Past Phoebe Rhodes (date of birth 2 August 1888) was the daughter of Tom William Rhodes, engraver of 17 Tennyson Road. She was admitted to Upperthorpe School on 11 June 1900. When she married William Edward Stanley on 3 July 1911 the certificate gives her father as Tom William Rhodes (deceased),engraver. All of this ties in with Elaine's post.

Margaret

Thanks for that Margaret, I have been looking on Ancestry and nothing at all comes up. This has solved a big mystery for me thanks again. Cannot believe all the misleading information I have, the 1891 census says they were living at 81 Creswick Street so no need to check Tennyson Road. The 1939 census shows her birth date as 5 August 1889. regards Barry "case closed"

Hi Margaret, I thought case closed but cannot find a birth record on Ancestry, Family Search or the GRO records. Does your record give the GRO reference? Barry

Barry,

I had used Ancestry for the information I gave you.

Look at the TREES..........and the census information.
My information was the same as Margaret's.

If Phoebe was born in 1889.......I doubt that Tom jnr was the father.(1873)

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Sorry Barry I cannot help further. I have searched for but have been unable to find a birth registration for Phoebe. Either her birth was not registered or else there has been an error but that does not mean she was illegitimate.

Margaret