Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Louis W P Hoskins born 1908

The Matrimonial Causes reference in 1943 must be application for divorce by Hilda. The Matrimonial Causes Act of 1937 would have allowed her to apply on the grounds of his adultery or on the grounds of his desertion (at least 3 years) or even on the grounds of his cruelty.
Dave

Thank you very much for all your replies. Makes a very interesting read I wonder if you can purchase divorce records?

According to National Archives the survival rate for divorce files after 1937 is only 0.2 % so no hope there I am afraid.
Dave

Edit It looks like they were already living apart by 1939 so I suppose he could have been the one who went to Africa in the war. She could still argue her divorce case in 1943 if he was absent abroad because they were already apart before the war.

Thanks Dave, still need to try and find a death though for him.

John, it is highly unlikely that he was the one married to Florence in the 1939 Register. That would have been bigamy.
Dave

I think it looks as if Louis was a bigamist. There is a death for him in New Zealand. Louis William Hoskins, date of birth 28 May 1908, died aged 95 in 2003. There is also a death in New Zealand for Florence Vera Hoskins, date of birth 26 February 1917, in 1988. In 1939 they were living at 60 The Fairway, Ruislip - his date of birth is shown as 28 May 1905 but Florence's is as above. I have not discovered when they went to NZ.

His daughter,June Hoskins, was born in 1933 and there is a marriage to Michael Platt Hulley registered in Sheffield December qtr 1957, volume 2d, page 61. He also had a son, Michael J. Hoskins, who was born in 1937. He married Janet A Stokes in Sheffield in 1960.

Margaret

Margaret many thanks for your reply, that does sound very interestng indeed. I wonder if a) I can obtain the death certificate and b)I wonder if he left a will. I shall use a well know search engine to see if I can find this info. John

John,
I assume you are aware of the birth of Anthony C Hopkins, mmn Griffiths, in Uxbridge in 1940. Ruislip is very close to Uxbridge.
Dave

Correction, Hoskins not Hopkins
Dave

Louis William
Last name Hoskins
Birth date 28/05/1908
Age at death 95
Registration year 2003
Registration number 2003/7744
Certificate ordering To order, visit https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/NonHistoricRecords
Record set New Zealand Death Index

Hope this will be useful John.

Margaret

Many thanks Margaret, sorry for late reply, something called Work got in the way