Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sheffield Marriage Indexers CD

Elaine in Ottawa
Back again Roger,

Found the reason why William was not turning up in our database search.

He is listed as Wm Stevenson on the census.

But was transcribed as Wm. so unless you entered Wm period he would not show.

I have removed the period for Wm snr and jnr and Jas as well.

So they now show up. Phew thats a relief.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Well done with that Elaine, you are a STAR !

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Roger,

This looks promising.

STEVENSON, Mary (, died on ?, at the age of 41).
Resided at Sheffield,Dun St and buried on 25 Feb 1833 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of Sheffield Parish Church Cemetery, City Centre.
Notes: . Place of Birth: . Parent(s): Willm(scissorsmith).

Elaine.

Wm snr on the 1841 census (yes I found him) but have to check why he isn't showing up on the index. Is aged 40.
Mary his wife is aged 30 so the NEW Mrs Stevenson.

Do you agree that the burial is probably the 1st Mary Stevenson.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS THough it says parents and then Willm (scissorsmith) Its either parents or spouse.

Hi Elaine and well done, think you have found her.
Bit more research needed and I will confirm

23-38 here and off to bed !

Good evening everyone

Surprising when you have the time and opportunity, when normally being a very busy retired bloke who unfortunately is house bound at the moment, how you can progress your research.

Thanks to Elaine for her help !

Now found my GGgrandfather William Stevensons first wife, Mary Dearrick, when my GGgrandfather was baptised, another Sheffield location where he lived, the name of his parents, John and Jane and the names of his brothers and sisters PHEW !!

Don't ever give up folks, knock down those brick walls and be patient like me, having researched my family history on and off, more off than on, for 40 years.

I will add in a thanks to all of you past and present who have sat and recorded so much valuable information.

My recent research has as usual thrown up some interesting questions which I am hoping that folks on this forum will answer.
2 sons of my GGgrandfather William Stevenson, Henry buried 4 Nov 1832 & Edward buried 27 Jan 1833, both living on Dun St, their mother Mary's address when buried on 25 Feb 1833.
Neither Henry or Edward are shown on the SF Indexers baptism records for the Cathedral
1816 - 1842
Neither are Elizabeth & Hanah age 12 & 6 living at 141 St Philips Road with their parents & family shown on the SF Indexers baptism record 1816 - 1842

William's other children, William bap 1823, Thomas 1825, Mary Ann 1826 are shown.

Were Henry, Edward, Elizabeth & Hanah baptised, if so then where ?
4 children not baptised is surely unusual !

Are there other baptism records available which may show baptism dates for those 4 children ?

Roger, i've just drawn a blank too on Find my past.

Terry

Hi Terry and thanks for looking !

Questions to take some answering

I have my thinking cap on and struggling !

Hi Roger,

Got my thinking cap on also.......

What years were these children born?

I remember with the Cathedral baptisms that we transcribed from fiche and the pages were in terrible condition.

Have you been through the S&DFHS transcriptions to see if they have them as they used the actual registers. But saying that I do believe that those are the ones FindMyPast are now using. Terry said they were not on FMP.

Going back to our transcription I suppose they could have been hard to read for both S&DFHS and ourselves. Other than you getting to Sheffield Archives and seeing the actual registers I don't know any other way around your dilemma.

Our transcriptions for St Philips cover 1828-1969
Cathedral 1816-1842.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Roger.

If you will email me your address, I will get a new disc out to you.

Or I could get it from Anne Berresford the membership secretary

Angela

Good morning Angela and thanks for your kind offer

My e mail address on it's way to you

Roger

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Roger,

Got my thinking cap on also.......

What years were these children born?

I remember with the Cathedral baptisms that we transcribed from fiche and the pages were in terrible condition.

Have you been through the S&DFHS transcriptions to see if they have them as they used the actual registers. But saying that I do believe that those are the ones FindMyPast are now using. Terry said they were not on FMP.

Going back to our transcription I suppose they could have been hard to read for both S&DFHS and ourselves. Other than you getting to Sheffield Archives and seeing the actual registers I don't know any other way around your dilemma.

Our transcriptions for St Philips cover 1828-1969
Cathedral 1816-1842.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Henry born 1830 Edward born 1832 Both dates assumed from burial record
Elizabeth born 1829 Hanah born 1835 Both dates assumed from 1841 census

Yes, I remember myself looking at the cathedral registers many years ago, that after all these years, understandable as to what condition they were in.

You mention the S&DFHS transcriptions, not looked thoroughly at their web site, couldn't find them initially, are they on the web site for public viewing ?

Not confident I am going to find entries relating to those 4 children
Hope SKS on here proves me wrong

Hi Roger,

Material that S&DFHS have transcribed is available for purchase through GENFAIR.

https://www.genfair.co.uk/product_list.php?sid=106&page=143825

They will also give you a choice of CD's or a download.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Roger,

Material that S&DFHS have transcribed is available for purchase through GENFAIR.

https://www.genfair.co.uk/product_list.php?sid=106&page=143825

They will also give you a choice of CD's or a download.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine and thanks

Hi Roger,

I have had a crack at your brickwall.

My findings will need rechecking.

I have found 6 children of William & a Mary scissorsmith
between 1823 & 1841. That were baptised at Sheffield Parish Church.

Mary Stevenson nee Dearrick was buried at Sheffield Parish Church 25th FEb 1833.

The four children not baptised would make 10 children.

If you look at the burials of Henry & Edward I think I can see a picture emerging.
Henry was buried 4th Nov 1832
Edward 27th Jan 1833
Mary 25th Feb 1833.

A reason for the boys not being baptised could be they just hadn`t got around to it when they both became ill and mum caught what ever they had. All three dying.

Or....

Henry died of some childhood disease
and mum finally succumbed to a complication of childbirth after Edward had died back in Jan. There could have been private baptisms that were never entered into the PR`s.

Now for Hannah she was born in 1835. So NOT a child of Mary Dearrick
Could she have been baptised as Hannah Ridge.

The same with Elizabeth is she a child of Mary Ridge.(1782-1833)

That`s my two cents worth.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Roger,

I have had a crack at your brickwall.

My findings will need rechecking.

I have found 6 children of William & a Mary scissorsmith
between 1823 & 1841. That were baptised at Sheffield Parish Church.

Mary Stevenson nee Dearrick was buried at Sheffield Parish Church 25th FEb 1833.

The four children not baptised would make 10 children.

If you look at the burials of Henry & Edward I think I can see a picture emerging.
Henry was buried 4th Nov 1832
Edward 27th Jan 1833
Mary 25th Feb 1833.

A reason for the boys not being baptised could be they just hadn`t got around to it when they both became ill and mum caught what ever they had. All three dying.

Or....

Henry died of some childhood disease
and mum finally succumbed to a complication of childbirth after Edward had died back in Jan. There could have been private baptisms that were never entered into the PR`s.

Now for Hannah she was born in 1835. So NOT a child of Mary Dearrick
Could she have been baptised as Hannah Ridge.

The same with Elizabeth is she a child of Mary Ridge.(1782-1833)

That`s my two cents worth.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine and thanks for your continuing help with this research !

William and Mary did have 6 children
Henry & Edward whose burial dates we have but not baptism.
William bap. 17 March 1823
Thomas bap. 8 May 1825
Mary Ann bap. 13 Nov 1826
These 3 children shown in Sheff Indexers Parish Baptisms.
Elizabeth born c1829 as per 1841 census, not shown in Sheff Indexers Parish Baptisms

Hannah born c1835 as per 1841 census, also not shown in Sheff Indexers Baptisms.
She was born after the death of Mary Dearrick but before the 2nd marriage of William to Mary Ridge in 1836 ????
Was her age shown in the 1841 census correct ????

William had further children with his 2nd wife Mary Ridge.

Your assumptions above are more than realistic !
During 1832/33 Henry, Edward and their mother died and yes, children may not have been baptised.
We can't imagine those living / health conditions, the disease and squalor.
We have situations of never to be answered questions all of which makes this family history research so fascinating !!
Unless anyone else following all this has any further comments I think I will let it rest there and move on to surmount another brick wall of which I have many !

Just a quick note.

I used the baptismal Records from the S&DFHS transcription.

William & Mary Dearrick mar Oct 1822
Children
William 1823
Thomas 1825
Mary Ann 1827
plus Henry buried 1832
Edward buried 1833
Mary Stevenson nee Dearrick aged 41 died 1833.

with Mary Ridge
m. 1836
George John 1838
James 1839
Sarah Mary Ann 1841.

That leaves Elizabeth 1829 & Hannah 1835.
they show on the 1841 census.
Elizabeth could fit in between Mary Ann and Henry.

Hannah I believe was born prior to Wm & Mary Ridges marriage but probably theirs.

My suggestions but you need to look into them.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Just a quick note.

I used the baptismal Records from the S&DFHS transcription.

William & Mary Dearrick mar Oct 1822
Children
William 1823
Thomas 1825
Mary Ann 1827
plus Henry buried 1832
Edward buried 1833
Mary Stevenson nee Dearrick aged 41 died 1833.

with Mary Ridge
m. 1836
George John 1838
James 1839
Sarah Mary Ann 1841.

That leaves Elizabeth 1829 & Hannah 1835.
they show on the 1841 census.
Elizabeth could fit in between Mary Ann and Henry.

Hannah I believe was born prior to Wm & Mary Ridges marriage but probably theirs.

My suggestions but you need to look into them.

Elaine.

Good morning Elaine

I doubt, but could be possible that the baptism records for Henry, Edward, Elizabeth and Hanah will ever be found.
4 children not baptised seems strange but possible.
If Hanah's age of 6 shown on the 1841 census record is correct, then surely she was Mary Dearrick's child !

Again a big thanks for you interest and help

Roger in sunny Sheffield where we are supposed to be having very heavy rain later !

Hi Roger, dont despair on my tree I have six children of different ages all Christened together which seemed to be the practice way back. Get well soon regards Barry Green

Is it possible that they were baptised at the Catholic Cathedral on Norfolk Row?

John S
Is it possible that they were baptised at the Catholic Cathedral on Norfolk Row?

Hi John and thanks for your suggestion

Doubtful having previously found no RC connections on my Stevenson side of the family
However, something worth looking at

Roger

Barry Green
Hi Roger, dont despair on my tree I have six children of different ages all Christened together which seemed to be the practice way back. Get well soon regards Barry Green

Hi Barry

Baptising children 200 years ago was done soon after birth, knowing the poor babies might not live that long.

You will be aware !

The situation you quote is unusual, that is waiting so long before baptising all 6.
Wonder why this happened, don't suppose you will ever know.

As I said previously in my posts, I will move on to something else which will give me a long time headache in solving.

Getting well soon is what I am striving towards

Thanks

Roger

Morning Roger,

You stated.

"Hanah's age of 6 shown on the 1841 census record is correct, then surely she was Mary Dearrick's child !"

I would like to state what I feel is the correct burial for Mary Stevenson nee Derrick.

If and I say IF.......

If we can take as correct Hannah's age in 1841 That would mean she was born 1834/5.

If Hannah was born prior to Feb 1833 when MaryD died she would have been aged 7 or 8.

Mary R. may have moved in to help William with his children and became pregnant. They later married.

My suggestion to you is to either use the information from the S&DFHS CD on Cathedral baptisms or actually try and see the registers at Sheffield Archives. That maybe difficult and they may only allow access to the fiche of those registers. Which is what we had trouble with.

To answer John's suggestion re St Marie's we transcribed the available registers from 1840.

1783-1840 Baptisms available from the National Archives.

Thats as far as I can go.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine in Ottawa
Morning Roger,

You stated.

"Hanah's age of 6 shown on the 1841 census record is correct, then surely she was Mary Dearrick's child !"

I would like to state what I feel is the correct burial for Mary Stevenson nee Derrick.

If and I say IF.......

If we can take as correct Hannah's age in 1841 That would mean she was born 1834/5.

If Hannah was born prior to Feb 1833 when MaryD died she would have been aged 7 or 8.

Mary R. may have moved in to help William with his children and became pregnant. They later married.

My suggestion to you is to either use the information from the S&DFHS CD on Cathedral baptisms or actually try and see the registers at Sheffield Archives. That maybe difficult and they may only allow access to the fiche of those registers. Which is what we had trouble with.

To answer John's suggestion re St Marie's we transcribed the available registers from 1840.

1783-1840 Baptisms available from the National Archives.

Thats as far as I can go.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

I have probably been looking too long at all this !
Thanks for your keen eye and apologies for my mistake re who was Hanah's mother.
Yes, must be Mary Ridge. Looks like as you stated she was born prior to William marrying Mary Ridge !

When I am on my feet again, a visit to the archives will be made.
Now a look through what the S&DFHS has to offer.

Roger