Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Graves in St Thomas Brightside

Sorry I haven't replied before just returned from holiday. Many Thanks to Al for a list of Bruce graves most of which I recognise as my family. One or two I will have to investigate. I would be interested Angela if it would be possible to have a copy of the MI'S for these. I was told previously that there were no records of the MI'S? Many Thanks.

Hi Margaret

You can download them from here:
https://www.genfair.co.uk/product_list.php?sid=106&page=24072

There is a small charge.

Angela

Thanks Angela.Before I order the download ,would there be any MI'S if there are no headstones as mentioned.?Thanks

Margaret.

A Monumental Inscription is recorded from the Headstone/Gravestone by volunteers physically going round the churchyard. If no stone is present then there won't be an MI. These were recorded in sections and rows

Angela

Thanks Angela for your help it would seem then that as Tony says he could find no headstones for the Bruces they would not be on the list of MI' S. Would it be possible for you to check for me and if there are any Bruces I would order the download to read the inscriptions. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Margaret.

There are no BRUCEs in the St Thomas MIs'

Angela

Thanks Angela that has saved me down loading. Much appreciated

I paid and downloaded the Inscription Register tonight. Unfortunately none of my ancestors show up, despite being buried there according to records. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Hi Jo,

If you give us names and dates we might be able to help more.

Maybe they died later than the transcription ended.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your reply. I was concentrating on my 3X Grt G'father, George Oxley. He was buried on 4 May 1856.

Kind regards
Jo

Hi Jo,

St Thomas Brightside shows the following.

OXLEY George 4 May 1856 "Sheffield,Bakers Hill" 47

Elaine in Ottawa.

Oooo, thank you. Where did you find that? I couldn't see anything on the register I purchased and downloaded last night. Maybe I'm a little confused.

Hello Margaret.

I assume that you downloaded from Genfair. Are you sure that you have downloaded St Thomas Brightside and NOT St Thomas Crookes.

Angela

Hi
There are two downloads on genfair concerning St Thomas Brightside.
Christ Church Pitsmoor 1850-1931, Holy Trinity Darnall 1846-1866, Holy Trinity Wicker 1859, St Lawrence Tinsley 1813-1901 and St Thomas Brightside 1854-1901 Burial Records
St Thomas parish church Holywell Street Brightside Monumental Inscriptions

I suspect Elaine got the information from the burial records.
There may not be a grave stone for the grave, hence not showing up in the Monumental Inscriptions

Sue

Right on Sue,

Thats exactly where I found it.

The CD or diskette as I have (very ancient) and records were transcribed by S&DFHS.
For the National Burial Index (NBI)

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you everyone. I'm presuming the same for my 2x Great Great Uncle, Harold.

Harold died at 9 years old after he fell and hit his head, (May 1855). A year later his father George (my 3x Great Grandfather) joins him. What a shame there is no headstone.

I appreciate everyones feedback.