Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thomas Hattersley Rudd and family

Hi Jennie,

You need access to the other trees on Ancestry.

They maybe able to help you move on to any Sheffield dependents.

Maria was obviously a RC as she had Thomas baptised in an RC Church in York.

They could have had a relative in York and she was sent there to give birth to
Thomas later returning to Sheffield.

As I said you really need access to the UK censuses. Do any of the Libraries where you live offer a free service to either Ancestry or FindMyPast?

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS you could always check Family Search out on line its free.
You would be looking for Mary Rudd.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Yes, Mary is the problem. She also appears as Maria in some trees. If she married Hattesley why did Thomas revert to her maiden name? Did he not get on woth his father? Thanks for your interest. Jenny

There has been a suggestion that he was the real son of John Hattersley but they did not marry until after their child was born. In which case he was not really a step father. Not uncommon. We can't really prove that. But Tom's children were definitely Protestant if anything at all. If Mary the mother said she was R.C. Could religion have something to do with it?

Thanks, good ideas. I have the census years but will do the family trees. Jenny

G'day Jenny

Rudd family members are in my tree too. My grand aunt married George Rudd. Originally I had George's parents and beyond in my tree but decided to cull because they aren't related to me.

cheers

Great to hear from you. Could this be George and Thomas Rudd, partners as machine makers until 1841? Jenny

I have found out that The father of Thomas Hattersley Rudd was John Hattersley, a farmer. I cannot find out if he married Mary or Maria Rudd at all, possibly afer the birth of Thomas who was born in York 1819, or who were Maria' parents. IAny help appreciated.

I can only give one little suggestion, and that's not to take the variant Maria too seriously. I had a little look at Thomas' baptism entry from the RC chapel (which?) in York (on Findmypast) & of course on that Mary becomes Maria in Latin. His one godparent is shown as Anna Colbeck, but she's most likely just Ann -you could see if she could be a relative, & if so, did she live in York or S. Yorks?

Geoffrey.:relaxed: