Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Methodist Baptisms.

Elaine
I find it very strange that George Dungworth Woodhouse was a Methodist he married in the parish church of Sheffield and his father was a publican. In the early days Methodist were very against alcohol.
Bev

Hi Bev,

My thoughts as well.

The strangeness started with William Woodhouse (1724) & his wife Ann who gave permission for their farm house to be used as a meeting place for itinerant Methodist preachers. The farm house was also a licensed beer house.

His 2xg/grandson John Woodhouse had the "Travellers Rest" on City Road for at least 40 years.
His son George Dungworth Woodhouse (1852) Ranmoor was a butcher and had the Carlton Tavern on Attercliffe Road. He later moved to the Woodthorpe Arms at Intake where he died in 1898.

Most of these Woodhouses were still being bmd in Anglican churches from necessity
I believe but they were chapel goers.

Not one of my grandfathers siblings it would appear were baptised. There were 13 of them of which only five made it to adulthood. They are all buried in Christ Church Attercliffe Cemetery. My mother always said she was baptised at St Mary's Walkley. But last time Hugh looked she wasn't there.

So the mystery continues.
BUT thanks for your thoughts.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine

Were they all buried in consecrated ground ? Not sure but are there any confirmation registers anywhere.

Bev

ALL consecrated ground at City Road in a Woodhouse Family Plot D6139.

My Grandfather is in Crookes Cemetery consecrated.

Just NO Baptisms. John Woodhouse 1826 baptised at Sheffield Parish Church.He is our 2xgreatgrandfather. Its the next generation where it gets complicated. We have three generations where we can find no baptisms. Prior to John they were buried at Ecclesall Parish Church.

My grandfather was the one who insisted I attend Ebenezer Chapel Walkley as a youngster even though I had been baptised at St Timothy's Crookes C of E. I later as a young pre teenager switched to St Timothy's.

Strange as I said.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype