Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: which cemetery?

These people were buried at St Thomas, Brightside...

HUGHES Thomas 25 Dec 1882 New Grimesthorpe 51
HUGHES Kezia 19 Mar 1897 84 Page Hall Rd 64

This church is now the headquarters of Greentop Circus http://www.greentop.org

I think there are still gravestones in the grounds?

Hugh

Thanks once again for your knowledge Hugh.Will follow this up with a visit. Regards to all,Carol

Hi

There was a stone but I don't know if it is still standing.

OP298
IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF / THOMAS HUGHES,/ THE BELOVED HUSBAND OF / KEZIA HUGHES,/ WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE DECEMBER 22nd, 1882,/ AGED 52 YEARS. / "IN THE MIDST OF LIFE WE ARE IN DEATH."/ ALSO OF THE ABOVE/ KEZIA HUGHES,/ WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 16th 1897,/ AGED 64 YEARS. / AT REST.

Angela

Many thanks for the added info Angela.Is the church still standing do you know?Looking at Google map is hard to tell.Carol

The church interior was converted for the use of the Greentop Circus - I have been to an event there, though it was some time ago.

Looking on street view I can see the church and spire; the (former) churchyard looks well maintained with lots of gravestones.

Hugh

Thanks for reply,will have another look Hugh.Regards,Carol

Hello Carol,

There is/was a headstone standing at this grave when I photographed the churchyard @ 2006 It was partially covered by brambles. The headstone appears to back onto a wall so it may save you time if you look at the wall plots first.

The brambles used to be pretty fierce but I haven't visited the churchyard for some years. I got the impression that the circus school may have attempted to clear the graves of foliage at some point.

Tony

Hi Tony,again thanks for some more helpful info.I looked again on Google map and found the church this time.I was wondering about a graveyard plan but maybe there isn't one now its not used.Your info will be helpful in trying to find it.Will remember to wear some good trousers and boots when I visit and tell the family to do the same.Regards, Carol in Bradford

Tony,

I just want to say what a pleasure it is to see you in this neck of the (virtual) woods!

Hugh

Hi Carol,

I am not aware of a plot map for the churchyard but that said, I didn't know there were transcripts of the headstones until I saw Angela's post (which prompted me to check my collection of photos)

I have E-mailed you a couple of photos that may help you track the plot down. My guess, looking at the photos, that it is the far (east) wall.

Hi Hugh

Thank you for your kind words, I am Still pottering around (Virtually) Looking forward to the cert six points next season.

Tony

Hugh
Tony,

I just want to say what a pleasure it is to see you in this neck of the (virtual) woods!

Hugh

Ditto

Angela