Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Methodist Baptisms.

Hello Elaine,

I have had a good luck at the Yorkshire Derbyshire Methodist Baptism's but unfortunately I can't find any Woodhouse's unless I'm doing something wrong.

Once my head clears again I will have another look.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Moira & Roger,

Thinking back I may have gone this route before with NO luck.....

It could also be the "Circuit" that Methodists had/have that is throwing me.
G/Grandfather George Dungworth Woodhouse was born Ranmoor and I believe that area came under the Carver St Circuit.

Grandfather Woodhouse born (1887) in Attercliffe may have had a different problem. His mother Mary Ann Woodhouse nee Batty had a Uncle who was a Methodist Lay Preacher and I suppose he could have performed the baptism privately.
The uncle Charles Batty on the 1891 census living on Springvale Rd aged 67 and is listed as a Steel Manager & Wesleyan Local Preacher.

Many years ago I "think" I found some material pertaining to Howard Rd Methodist Church where Charles may have preached but I can't retrace my steps to find it again.

I believe that most of these Woodhouses and their ancestors had been Methodist since the mid 1700's and lived in Upper Hallam (Mayfield Valley). Many still seemed to go through the motions of BMD's in the Church of England but worshiped together with their neighbors as Methodists.

Just a little background history to help with any digging you might do.
I have checked the C of E Registers of course.

Thanks Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

The Methodist baptisms on FMP are those that we have transcribed and submitted. I have a copy of them all. I have checked these for you a few months back and they are not there.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Sooooo... in other words no additional Methodist Baptisms other than the ones you have transcribed......There must be others........

It's bugged me for years as I know the family ALWAYS had their children baptised.

BUT.. where that is the question. LOL.

Thanks for reminding me.

Elaine in Ottawa. Dizzy Lizzy. LOL.

Hi Angela,

Are the Methodist baptisms on FMP complete, or do you still have ones yet to transcribe?

Heths

Heather

We have transcribed all the available registers that have been deposited at Sheffield archives.

Since we did them I have now been given a transcription of Endcliffe WM baptisms 1903-2014 and Grenoside WM 1838-1972

Angela

Thanks for the info Angela

I have been involved in Free churches all my life. Firstly Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform church in Sheffield then Guisborough Methodist after moving there in 1976. My family history research experience has been that the Free churches have no real systems for keeping/archiving Registers. Some of my family attended Sharrow Vale WR church & 2 were local preachers there but the church has no idea what happened to their baptism registers. They don't have them & they are not in the Archive. Sadly that is all too common.
Its a real tragedy that many people clearly don't understand the importance of such unique registers ! I have spent time with the General Secretary at the Sheffield Headquarters of the Wesleyan Reform Union & they have virtually nothing historically.
So don't be surprised if you can't find the registers for Free churches.

Hi John,

Thanks for filling us in on the Free Churches history. Thats what I thought would be the case but just needed it to be confirmed.

Thanks Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine
I find it very strange that George Dungworth Woodhouse was a Methodist he married in the parish church of Sheffield and his father was a publican. In the early days Methodist were very against alcohol.
Bev

Hi Bev,

My thoughts as well.

The strangeness started with William Woodhouse (1724) & his wife Ann who gave permission for their farm house to be used as a meeting place for itinerant Methodist preachers. The farm house was also a licensed beer house.

His 2xg/grandson John Woodhouse had the "Travellers Rest" on City Road for at least 40 years.
His son George Dungworth Woodhouse (1852) Ranmoor was a butcher and had the Carlton Tavern on Attercliffe Road. He later moved to the Woodthorpe Arms at Intake where he died in 1898.

Most of these Woodhouses were still being bmd in Anglican churches from necessity
I believe but they were chapel goers.

Not one of my grandfathers siblings it would appear were baptised. There were 13 of them of which only five made it to adulthood. They are all buried in Christ Church Attercliffe Cemetery. My mother always said she was baptised at St Mary's Walkley. But last time Hugh looked she wasn't there.

So the mystery continues.
BUT thanks for your thoughts.

Elaine

Were they all buried in consecrated ground ? Not sure but are there any confirmation registers anywhere.

Bev

ALL consecrated ground at City Road in a Woodhouse Family Plot D6139.

My Grandfather is in Crookes Cemetery consecrated.

Just NO Baptisms. John Woodhouse 1826 baptised at Sheffield Parish Church.He is our 2xgreatgrandfather. Its the next generation where it gets complicated. We have three generations where we can find no baptisms. Prior to John they were buried at Ecclesall Parish Church.

My grandfather was the one who insisted I attend Ebenezer Chapel Walkley as a youngster even though I had been baptised at St Timothy's Crookes C of E. I later as a young pre teenager switched to St Timothy's.

Strange as I said.

Elaine.