Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: mortimer marshall

Kim.

Just another bit of information. It was highly unlikely that they moved to Belgium during WW1 as the Germans invaded Belgium and there were lots of Belgium refugees arrived in Sheffield in 1914.

The marriage and births in Sheffield also confirms they must have arrived after the first two children were born.

August 1, 1914 - Germany declares war on Russia. France and Belgium begin full mobilization.

August 3, 1914 - Germany declares war on France, and invades neutral Belgium. Britain then sends an ultimatum, rejected by the Germans, to withdraw from Belgium.

The admission registers for Ecclesall Bierlow Workhouse list a number of Belgium refugees arriving in 1914-1915. Some were given temporary accommodation at the workhouse.

Angela

Hi Kim,

William Leonard Marshall, born 4 June 1899, bap 27 June 1899 at
Wesleyan Methodist, Hollinsend Road, Gleadless, Sheffield.
Parents - William and Elizabeth Ann.

1901 census - Main Road, Intake, Sheffield.
Elizabeth A. Marshall, widow, 38, shop keeper, grocer, born Dronfield, Dby.
Children: Herbert 16, Jessie 11, Benjamin 9, Elias 7, Alice M. 4 and
WILLIAM L. MARSHALL, son, 1yr, born Intake, Sheffield.

On the 1891 census, Hollinsend, Gleadless, Sheffield.
Elizabeth is with her husband William who is 42yrs old, a coal miner
and was born in Elton, Derbyshire.

William Marshall (coal miner, aged 52) Died at Intake.
Buried 27 Jan 1901 at Intake Cemetery.
(Burial on this site).

Moira.

Kim, , a quick summary of uk genealogy searching
1. Registration of birth , marriage and death (BMD)began in September 1837,. There is a free website, FreeBMD which allows you to search from 1837 to about 1980 for these records. After about 1915 the record contains mother maiden name for births and partner full name for marriages. Age at death is also not there for the earliest deaths.
2. The general register office (GRO) has an online free index that covers from 1837 to 1915 and gives mother maiden name for births and age at death for deaths. Nothing for marriages. You do need to sign on but it is free.
3. there were national censuses (starting 1841 and every 10 years ) and all from1841 to 1911 are published online (fee paying). The two most commonly used sites are Ancestry and Find My Past (FMP). On the censuses you get household address, family members, ages and occupations..
4. If you find a registered B M or D that you want you can buy the certificate to that event (from GRO). Each certificate costs £9.25 and shows more information. Eg for marriage there are the names and occupations of the couple's fathers, the ages of the couple and names of witnesses. For births there is maiden name of mother and her married name. For deaths there is cause of death and name of person, usually relative, reporting the death.

Basically, using these sources you can trace families back to people who were still living around 1840.

There are many more sources of information, parish records for example, and for the Sheffield area there are free sources on this site over to the left. These can take you much further back in time if you wish.
The many contributors on this site will help you as much as possible so please ask for help at any stage.
Groetjes
Dave

oh waw, didn't expect that much information in such short notice. Thank you very much. I'm going to print it out to read it all with care. I'm especially interested in Francis Marshall. He's my husbands grandfather (but more like a father to my husband). Martha Mortimer was a colorful woman and had a relationship too with a certain "Van Beethoven". Harry and Rudolf were definitely Marshalls (blood). Then comes Francis, and then 3 more who more look like a "Van Beethoven". Francis was always told his father was "Van Beethoven", but he was like twins with Harry and Rudolf and didn't ressemble at all his other siblings. We always suspected granny martha mortimer kept some secrets. Francis' wife, my husbands grandmother, is still alive and remembers Martha Mortimer well, she used a mix of dutch and english and always spoke about "them english". She used to do the washing of the clothes of the English soldiers during WW2. I'll try to take a closer look at the "registers" here to get more specific information on how and when she came to Belgium. I'll keep you posted.
She wasn't a very lovable mother-in-law, but she's sure very interesting. (We wonder a lot whether "the colorfulness" is something some family members here in Belgium inherited from England. :) )

Thank you again.
Kim

Kim, there is definitely no birth registration in England for Francis so it seems likely he was born in Belgium.
Do you know the occupation of William Marshall? That may give an indication of why they moved to Belgium.
Dave

Hello,
Thank you.
I went to my husbands grandmother this afternoon. She told me I was wrong thinking Van Beethoven was the father of the other children. She married "van Beethoven" in 1963.
Our grandmother thinks she came to Belgium in 1925. Francis Marshall was born in 1927. His father is maybe "Van Immerseel", a Belgian who granny met in england during WW1, while she was already married to Leonard Marshall. (Maybe he was indeed a refugee). She came to Belgium with "Van Immerseel", but stayed friendly with Leonard Marshall, our grandmother says. She had 5 more children with Van Immerseel, not 4 like I thought. Van Immerseel died shortly before WW2. Somewhere she then got divorced from Leonard Marshall, because in 1963 she married "van Beethoven".
Here, I only have acces to indexes earlier than 1906.
I'm going to look for a "Van Immerseel" family which maybe fits the description and keep you posted.
Thank you again and sorry for all the wrong information.
Best regards,
Kim
ps I have a copy of a wedding certificate. I'll try posting it. Or can I email it to someone?

Hi Kim
Thanks for the update. From Free BMD , William Leonard Marshalll died in Sheffield in Quarter 4 of 1974. His birthdate was 4 Jan 1899.
Also from Free BMD The Marshall Mortimer marriage was in 1922 , 4 years after ww1.
If you wish to trace the Mortimer line back further I am sure we can help you.
Angela, I wonder if the refugees you mentioned in the Workhouse records can be searched for van Immerseel or similar?
Dave

So excited.
The immigration documents of Martha Mortimer:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G99C-VCKD?i=410&wc=M6TQ-KNG%3A342083501&cc=2023926

It's in dutch.
she arrived in Belgium 18/5/1926. Her passport was given in Londen, 21/4/1926
Then 23/8/1926 she officialy went back to England to come back 23/12/1926.
She claims she doesn't know where her husband Leonard marshall is. They got married 14/2/1921 in Sheffield and lived together in Old street 21. she brought Rudolph °4/7/1923 too, Harry Marshall °18/8/1921 stays with her father, Harry Mortimer, 65 years old then, and mother Thomas Christina, 62 years old then, living in Broadstreet 100 in Sheffield, 14/6/1926, but officially the paperwork claims he lives in Antwerp. (they make a difference between "staying" and "living")
she says Frans van Immerseel is her lover and that he provided (13/7/1926). Later she changes it to living in excile (5/1/1927), she was pregnant then.
5/1/1927 she did the paperwork for a permanent visa. Then her father is 60 years (?)
Francis Marshall, my husbands grandfather, was born 30/3/1927, in Antwerp I know now, but ressembled Harry and Rudolph more than his other siblings from Van Immerseel Frans. 9 months earlier is 30/6/1926, so if granny told the truth to the immigration services on where and when she was staying, Francis is a "Van Immerseel" and was named after his real father, but I still have my doubts, because it looks like she travelled a bit back and forth between Sheffield and Antwerp and there's a small time window.

I'm going to try to find more information on Van Immerseel Frans.
Would there be more information on Frans Van Immerseel, °23/9/1893, Borgerhout, in Sheffield?
And is there more information on the whereabouts of Leonard Marshall. Was he missing at any point?
On the wedding certificate with Van Beethoven, is said she divorced Leonard Marshall. Is there more information to be found on the divorce?

Kim

Dave.

We only transcribed the Workhouse admissions up to January 1915 and the refugees started arriving about October 1914. I have checked my file but no one or similar of that name is entered. That doesn't mean he wasn't in Sheffield as they were housed in other institutions too.

Angela

Kim, gefeliciteerd, that is a wonderful document to find.
The website www.freebmd.org.uk gives different dates (years)for the marriage and the births of the first two boys.
The marriage was in the first quarter of 1922, not 1921 and Henry was born third quarter 1922, not 1921 and Rudolf third quarter 1924, not 1923. If you wish you can buy online those certificates to be sent by mail. Each will cost £9.25.
It is likely that the months and days are correct so it would seem she was 3 months pregnant when she married Leonard.
To find more information here will be challenging because of the 100 years rule on some official documents. That means that if there are any official documents they will not become available until 100 years after the event. The 1921 census is due to be released in early 2022. We might expect that Martha, William and Frans will all be on that.
If Leonard abandoned Martha, there may be something in Workhouse records (if Martha requested relief) but that would be after 1924 so again the 100 year rule.
There is a slim chance of something in a newspaper. Does anyone know if they are available for the mid 1920s?
Does anyone have any way of looking for divorces, presumably between 1940 and more likely closer to 1963?.
Dave

Kim, if you look over to the left you will see a link for Directories. If you go in there and search for William Marshall you get 10 pages of answers. On the 10th page is a William Marshall, shopkeeper, of 79 BROAD ST , PARK. In 1925. That might be him. If you buy the marriage certificate it will tell you William Leonard Marshall's occupation.
Dave

Hi Kim,

1939 register.
West Riding Mental Hospital, Wadsley, Wortley R.D. (Sheffield).
William L. Marshall, D.O.B. 4 June 1900, filler coal mine, married.

I know William was born 4 June 1899, but, I think the above might
just be him.

Moira.

It defenitely looks like him.
Francis Marshall, with his english passport, though born in Antwerp, needed a permanent work permit after a while.
Browsing through old papers of his business I got from my husbands grandmother, I found duplicates of his birth certificate and that of his father and the marriage certificate of his parents today. Between a fridge manual and an invoice for buying an Hammond organ :)

729909 certified copy of an entry of marriage (dated 16/10/1947)
registration district sheffield,sheffield, sheffield
no.61, 14/02/1922
William Leonard Marshall, 22 years, bachelor (in pencil "died"), coal miners filler, 100, broad street, Sheffield, father: William Marshall (deceased), Coal hewer.
x
Martha Mortimer, 20 years, spinster, no profession, 79, broad street, sheffield, father: Henry Mortimer, general dealer (metal)

In the presence of Geo.R Turner and A. Turner

396222 certified copy of an entry of birth (dated 16/10/1947)
registration district sheffield, sub district Handsworth, bounty of York
no.393, 4/6/1899 intake
name: william leonard (boy)
father: william marshall
mother: elizabeth Ann Marshall, formerly Sheard
profession father: coal miner
signature, description and residence of informant: EAMarshall, mother, intake
when registered: 6/7/1899

The adresses are a bit confusing, I think.
In 1911, the mortimer-family lives in 100, broad street.

in 1922
Martha Mortimer was no longer living in 100, broad street, but now she was living in 79, Broad street, her father is a general dealer/shopkeeper
William Leonard Marshall was not yet working as a shopkeeper but as a coal miners filler, and now living in 100, broad street.

Then in 1925 William Leonard Marshall is listed as a shopkeeper in 79, broad street. Where is he living?

In 1926, on the immigration record, William Leonard Marshall lives together with Martha Mortimer in old street 21 and Martha's parents live in 100, broad street.

Any theories on the juggling with adresses?
And did it drive William Leonard Marshall crazy? Thank you for that piece of information, Moira! Why did he end up in a mental hospital? It looks like he got out. what happened to him? and is Henry or Rudolph maybe still alive? or their children, grandchildren...
And what's the story behind Van Immerseel?

This is getting more and more interesting.

Dave T: does "gefeliciteerd" mean you have connections in Belgium and/or Holland? Anything I can help you with?
or anyone else? (Angela, Elaine,...?)

Kim

Hi Kim,

William Leonard Marshall Born 4th June 1899. Registered Sep qtr 1899 Sheffield 9c 672.
Birth date taken from his death registration Dec qtr 1974 aged 75
Sheffield Vol 3 Page 1192.

You ask where was William Leonard living in 1925.
Probably either behind or above the shop on Broad Street.

If you look at Google Earth and enter 79 Broad St Sheffield.

You will see that there is a new building (large) on one side of the Street. The other side has some old shops (A Magic Shop). I dont know if they are the shops BUT it will give you an idea of what was there. Probably an idea also of how the living accommodation would have worked.

The question of the juggled street address leaves me with a headache LOL.
Someone else will have to have a go at that.

Regards. Elaine in Ottawa Canada.
PS Thanks for your offer of a look up for either Belgium or Holland. 75% Sheffield rellies. 25% Northamptonshire.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Wow kim.
I think I can help with the addresses. I have checked William Leonard back through Free BMD. Others have already reported that he was born 1899 4th June and that his father died just before the census in 1901. His mother Elizabeth Ann re married in 1902 to William Ryland and then she died in 1913. Her burial is on this site over to the left. She was buried with her first husband at Intake. So William was an orphan at age 14. Where did he live, who did he live with? Note that his mother was a shopkeeper in 1901. Did William take part in the final few months of Ww1?
I believe that the Mortimer family lived at 79 Broad St and their shop was at 100 Broad St. To marry in the area he had to give an address in the area, so he gave that address. Maybe he lived there long term, maybe for a couple of days before the marriage. The birth certs of Henry and Rudolf will give their addresses in 1922 and 1924, and also William's occupation at that time.
Do you know when Martha died?
I think it must be significant that the certificates you have were issued in 1947. Who asked for those and why ? Presumably it was Martha . We're they to be used for the divorce? Who wrote on it that William died. If she was still alive in 1974, presumably it was Martha.
Where did William die? Was it in the asylum? You can find out by buying his death cert.
When did Wlilliam enter the asylum? Could it have been in the 1920 s? And was that the cause of the break up?
Before the 1937 Divorce Act Martha could not have obtained a divorce without spending a lot of money and proving that Wiliam had committed adultery. After 1937 she could get a divorce on the grounds of having lived apart for over 5 yrs, OR Because her husband was in the asylum.
The date that that he entered the asylum (or perhaps multiple dates) will be available In the records. Unfortunately the 100 year rule comes in to play. Any blood descendant of William could get that information if they prove they are the direct descendant and can prove they are the senior descendant. I believe that means it must be a descendant of Henry or Rudolf. I get the impression you do not know any of them.
Dave
Ps I lived 20 yrs in Belgium and was just using my rather rusty Flemish to make you feel more at home.
There is a small favour if it is convenient. Do yo live anywhere near Geel?

Kim, sorry, just realised that you said Francis was called Marshall. Does that mean his birth record names William Marshall as his father? If that is correct then your husband could legitimately ask Sheffield Archives to provide him with the aAsylum records for William Leonard. You would need to show a few certificates to prove the blood link back to him. We can help you do that if you wish.
Dave

Hello,

a magic shop... :)

The birth certificate of Francis Marshall ,
n°1202 register Antwerp 1927, born 31/3/1927, born in Antwerp, son of Leonard Marshall, born in Sheffield, great Brittain and Martha Mortimer, born in Sheffield, Great Brittain.
His passport number (united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland): C388902A

His daughter, Ellen Marshall (my husbands mother/deceased)
had a document:
"birth within the district of the British consul-general at Antwerp."
n°62, 30/1/1951, Wilrijk, Antwerp. Name: Ellen Martha, girl, father: Francis Joseph Marshall, mother: Martha Josepha Marshall formerly Ghijsels (my husbands grandmother who showed me the documents and told me what she still remembers), rank: plumber, born at antwerp on 31/3/1927, his father having been born at Sheffield on 4/6/1899, statutory declaration by father, registered 29/4/1964 on the authority of the secretary of state. despatch n°19 (TNN 21/229) of april 1964, consular officer: R. Morton Saner, HBMConsul General

If you could help us with the asylum records of William Leonard Marshall... <3

My husbands family isn't very lucky it seems, they all lost (one of) their (substitute) parents early, left some marks. My husband had a heart attack last summer at age 40. We hope we can break the chain and our little boy "Francis" will grow up in a happy steady home. How genealogy motivates you to be your best :) and can comfort you when feeling alone while struggling... . That's why I like "the magic shop" too.

I never go near Geel, don't think I even ever went there (what's there to see? :) ), but I do have some colleagues of mine living there so I think I can help.

I think Francis Marshall asked for the papers in 1947 for the start of his business. He always had to do some extra paperwork to get things done (like a work permit, registration of a shop, insurance,...) just because of his English passport.

I think I found a picture of Henry and Rudolph (grandmother calls them Harry and Rudy) taken in 1955 in Manchester. But I have to double check next time I see grandmother.

Kim

Kim, your husband has a good chance.. He should email to archives@sheffield.gov.uk. Tell them he wants to get asylum information about his great grandfather William Leonard Marshall who he knows was in the Wadsley Asylum in 1939. Tell them that he is related through his mother and her father who was William Leonard's son and that all three are now deceased. (give the dates of their birth and decease). They will advise on what evidence they need of his credentials and they will tell you what it will cost.(probably between 10 and 20 pounds) You will then need to download a research request form from their website (they will tell you how ). You should complete it, providing copies of the right documents and send it to them with payment. If they accept his credentials they will look in the records and provide him with the information.
Interesting that you say Henry and Rudolph were in Manchester in the1950s. They must have had a few problems if they were in Belgium at the beginning of Ww2.
I note that a Rudolph Marshall married a Gertrude Morris in 1957 in Wales (free BMD )

With regard to Geel. My mother's brother died on the Albert canal in 1944. I took my mother to see the grave over thirty years ago but I have no photo of it. I would now like a photo of it for my cousin, his only surviving child, who was orphaned with her two brothers when he was killed. She has not seen her father's grave.
The churchyard at Geel has a small section owned by the British and Commonwealth War Graves Commission. From memory there are only about 25 graves in it. can you please help to get me a close up of his grave?
Dave
PS I remember well the bureaucracy I encountered regularly as an expat in Belgium. ( and I still encounter it once every year)
I can therefore sympathise with Francis.

Hi Dave,

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission put me in touch with a Gentleman in France who would take photographs of War Graves for you (free). I am sure they probably have someone in Belgium who would do the same for you.

I found them a fantastic organization to deal with.

My paternal grandfathers grave which I had visited with their help is in Leers N. France. The stone & etching on the five British WW1 graves was not easy to read. Once I returned home I phoned them here in Ottawa thanking them for their help and mentioned about the engraving. They had someone go to Leers and check the graves and later had all five graves re surfaced and etched. The photo came next so I could see what they had done. Two brothers have since visited with glowing reports of the work the CGC did.

Its maybe another suggestion for you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine, thanks.
Moira, Rudolph is not a common name, and I see on FMP that they have an electoral register entry for a Rudolph Marshall in Sale in Cheshire. That is a suburb of Manchester. My FMP has lapsed. So I cannot see the full entry. Would you mind please having a look?
You never know
Dave

Hi Dave,

The electoral register in question was taken 2002-03.
Rudolph Marshall is aged 65+ and living at 28 Atkinson Road, Sale,
Cheshire. He has lived there for three years, and with him is
Jean Marshall.

This would make this Rudolph born about 1937.
Not sure why they put + after the 65.

Moira.

Hi Moira

I would ignore the age bracket, I have just checked mine and they have me in the 35-39 age bracket....I'll take that

Angela

Moira, thanks. I do not know why the + is there either, Did they give ages just in bands on electoral register? Anyone knowB.
Dave
Edit, just checked the info about this on FMP. Their electoral registers give only the age RANGE of the individuals, not the actual age. Therefore the Rudolph of Sale was OVER 65. So he is still a possibility.
Edit, thanks Angela. I am sure that those who know you would say that they believe it.!!

Dave, I live on the Dutch Belgian border about 45 minutes from Geel. I'm about to go on holiday for the next 3 weeks. If no-one has been able to get you the photo before I'm back then drop me a line around that time and I'll happily drive over there for you.

Heths

Heths, thank you for that offer. Enjoy your holiday
Dave

Sorry, still on the trail of Rudolph.
FMP has a marriage for Rudolph Marshall in Trafford in 1979. That marriage does not show up in Free BMD. Who did he marry please?
Dave

Hi Dave,

Rudolph Marshall married Jean E. Marshall, Q4 1979, Trafford, Lancs.

Moira.

Moira, thanks. Definitely the same one you identified in 2002.
Kim, cannot take this one any further. There is a good chance he is your Rudolph, but the only way to be sure either way would be to buy the marriage certificate. That would give his father's name
Dave

Hello,
Don t have a lot of time the next days. I ll try peeking on the forum once in a while.I ll ask my colleagues in Geel (what is the name they ll be looking for?)
And will also try to ask grandmother if she remembers more.
I m really happy this website and forum excists, How wonderful and inspiring. Thank you! Kim

Kim, the grave is Sergeant Leslie William Hazel of the Durham Light Infantry. If you click on Email at the bottom of this message you will be able to send direct to me.
Thank you
Dave

Kim,
one free web site which will be useful to you is www.picturesheffield.com. It is an archive of historical pictures around Sheffield. There are many pictures there of Broad Street, Park which show you what the place looked like in the 19th and 20th centuries. You can print off the pictures (free) if you wish or you can order and pay for better quality prints at higher resolution.
There is a very clear picture of the shop at no 73 in about 1915 (s00798) and there are at least 3 which have No 79 on, one in 1895 and a couple in the 1970s. No 79 was next door to a public house (see y00708, s13808, s25830, t06712)
Also there are 3 pictures of "Long Steps" where Martha was living at 5 weeks old.
Another database you can find info on is here on the left. If you follow the Links button you will find that there are maps of old Sheffield you can access. This lets you see where all the different addresses were (Broad St, Bernard St, Old St) in the early 19th century.
Enjoy looking
Dave

Hello Kim
William Leonard Marshall, aged 75, Retired, of 91 Norwich Row, unmarried, died 23rd Dec on Park Hill, Sheffield, was cremated at City Road Crematorium on 30th December 1974,(cremation number 104560). Henry Marshall was also at the above address and William's ashes were scattered at Hutcliffe Wood, Sheffield, Section 9. regards, Christine Steers.

Christine, Kim
FMP has a death in Sheffield in 2005 of Henry Leonard Marshall, born in 1922. Is that just a double coincidence? Or did he take on Leonard as his second name?
Dave
PS, in my earlier message about Picture Sheffield and Maps I said they show Sheffield in the early 19th century. I of course meant early 20th century. Sorry

Hello Dave, Kim
There is a birth registration on FreeBMD for Henry L Marshall, mother's maiden name, Mortimer, in Sep Qtr 1922, Sheffield. Christine

Christine, oops, how did I not spot that L in the birth reg. So that 2005 death is definitely the right one for Kim.
Thanks, Dave

Thank you all,

I think I am a bit (a lot) slower than most of the sheffield indexers here. Finding all this information would have taken me months. :)
(If I don't reply immediately, it means I'm slow (just a bit) but still very enthousiastic and grateful)

Dave, I asked my colleagues from Geel to visit the cemetary to make a picture and they're more than happy to do that. I'll forward it to you then.

:), Kim

Kim, thanks, my cousin will be very grateful.
For your info, a picture of the address that William Leonard, and Henry, were living at when William Lawrence died can be found on Picturesheffield. It was on the top level of apartments (flats) on Park Hill.
Dave

Hi Dave,
2 emails came your way if correct.
it meant a lot to my colleagues (and me) to be able to help.
(Please let me know if they didn't came through)

Best regards,
Kim

Kim, thank you so much. Wonderful pictures, and so much more than I expected. Please thank your colleague Ann for me. My cousin is over the moon
Regards, Dave