Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Thomas Rhodes marriage

The marriage took place between Nov 1824 and Nov 1825 according to the list I sent you, regards Barry.

Re: Thomas Rhodes marriage

This is what Barry sent me.

John Rhodes & Elizabeth Furness
Ref. U/219/656.

And as he stated between Nov 1824 & Nov 1825.

If someone is going to the Archives over the next little while and could check if there is anymore info I am sure he will be very appreciative.

I can never remember when fathers names and occupations stated to be show on the marriage entries. I think that would help Barry.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi.

The Sheffield marriages from S&DFHS are only an index as noted.

This marriage image is on FMP.

Sheffield SS Peter & Paul.7 August 1825
John RHODES bachelor of this parish and Elizabeth Furniss Spinster of this parish, after banns.

Both signed "X"
Witnesses Wm Fletcher and Thomas Hall, both signed their names.

Angela

Just back from Cornwall

Thanks for that Angela, Can you tell me what FMP is and is it accessable? regards Barry. How was the weather in Cornwall?

Hello Barry,

FMP is Find MY Past and is a subscription based website although a very good one.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Barry

The weather was awful. We had one really good day (Thursday) which we spent in St Ives. The rest of the week was scattered showers and a little sunshine. As my hubby is a match fisherman it didn't stop him fishing, and with 15 lakes he was in fishing heaven.

Find My Past have the images for the Sheffield Anglican registers which have been filmed at the archives.

Angela

Re: William Rhodes

Hello,
I also have many Rhodes in my tree including William b-1799, married to Ann Sanderson b-1803. Unsure of marriage date but first child was in 1824 so 1821 is probably close. This Rhodes family are members of the Howard St. Independent Church and not St. Peter.

Paul

Re: Rhodes family

Hi Paul, We may be related, William Rhodes married Ann Sanderson on 19 June 1821 at St. Pauls. The Christenings took place at the Howard Street Independent church but I think marriages had to be at St. Pauls. I am on Ancestry if you can access it to see how closely we are related. Regards Barry

Hi Barry & Paul,

Just to straighten the church out...

All marriages to 1848 were supposed to take place at Sheffield Parish Church St Peter & Paul) now the Cathedral.Or their chapelries. i.e. Ecclesall Parish Church. There were very few churches until 1848.

Many Sheffielders did go to Rotherham/Bradfield & Ecclesfield rather than get in the queue in Sheffield.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Barry,
Sorry not on ancestry but can tell you William Rhodes is my GGGG Grandfather.

Paul

Hi, William Rhodes is my 3rd great grandfather and I am descended from John Rhodes which line are you descended from? Are you in England or abroad. regards Barry

Hi Barry,
I'm also through John Rhodes. His daughter Mary Ellen (b-1859) married William Brown in 1876 and that ends my Rhodes line.

I am in Canada and have a lot of Sheffield people in my past. I actually stopped at the Sheffield Archives back in May 2013.

Do you go back past Thomas Rhodes, William's father? I'm not sure but possibly Thomas was c-17 Jun 1772 in Cleckheaton, Yrks-any confirmation?

Also would you have a birth date for Mary Ellen Rhodes, John's daughter?

If you prefer to get in touch directly, my email is:

pkwingert@accesscomm.ca

Paul