Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hallamshire Book of Apprentices - but a different topic again .....

I assume that the copy of this available on the Sheffield Indexers Website is a typescript copy of the original - probably made by Eric Youle.

Does anyone know who holds the original document please? I have a query I'd like to check. There's an entry on Page 134 - the first of several for members of the Berry family which reads :-

Berry - Benjamin son of Nathan, Daintry, soldier dec. to Archdale Samuel, Heeley, knifemaker 7,1805

It's the Daintry that bothers me. Has anyone heard of it in or local to Sheffield? Anywhere nearby? Anywhere at all?

Nathan Berry married Lydia Groves/Greaves at Sheffield St Peter's in 1779 and they have one child baptised there (Eliza in 1780) when Nathan is given as a stick maker - but no other children, although there is clearly a dynasty of stick making, cane dealing etc. Berry's in Sheffield in later years - all inter-related.

However, looking at ancestry etc. I find Charles s/o Nathan & Lydia Berry baptised at Daventry in 1783, their son John Greaves was also baptised in Daventry in 1788 (and buried there in 1791) and another son Benjamin Standish Berry was baptised at Daventry in 1791 - whom I'd assume was the one referred to in the cutler's book above. There may be more ...

How feasible is it to ask someone to check the original to see if Daintry could have been a mis-reading / misinterpretation of Daventry? And who should I ask?

Any help gratefully received !

HIlary

Re: Hallamshire Book of Apprentices - but a different topic again .....

Daintry was the traditional pronunciation for Daventry, & sometimes it was spelled that way. An ancestor of my wife's was born in 'Numpwick' according to the 1851 census -it was Nantwich. The clerk to the Cutlers often had interesting spellings: at an earlier period I seem to remember 'Eckersabarley' for Ecclesall Bierlow.

Geoffrey

Hi Hillary

Re the Hallamshire Cutlers - the on-line copy I provide, is a scan of a photo copy of an original. As such there would be no transcription error, other than any made by Leader in the original volume.

Hope that helps-

Regards - Eric

PS - re - possible transcription errors - the copy of the Book I accessed is held by the LDS, at Salt Lake.

I assume Sheffield Library holds a copy for reference. Other than that iy would be nessary to check or have the original
entry checked at the Cutlers Hall

Regards - Eric

Thanks Eric for filling us in.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you all for your replies to my query - and particularly to Geoffrey White in this case.

I didn't dare hope my suspicions were correct - but it seems they were after all. Problem solved - well, that one anyway!

Thank you so much for all your time.

Best wishes, Hils

There arew copies of the original in both the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) and Sheffield Archives (Shoreham Street).

Hugh

Thanks for that, Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

Are you saying that the Copy we have on line is different to the Archive/Local Studies Library copy?

That's important to those of us that have to rely on fiche or on line material.

Thanks Elaine.

Sorry to cause confusion. I believe that Eric's scans are of the same book that I am referring to.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Just thought I would ask before someone else did.

Elaine in Ottawa

Hi

I guess we need to be careful with our terminology and to differentiate between First Edition Copies and copies of the first edition.

The LDS at Salt Lake have a First Edition Copy as I assume have the Sheffield Libraries University and Cutlers Company. Although the publication run cannot have been large.

I have a photo copy of the LDS First Edition - so to the best of my understanding I have provided a facsimile of the original Leader publication. The only more authentic reference being the original records held by the Cutlers Company.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Eric

PS it does appear to be a large format book, in the original publication around A3 size.