Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: George Pass

Dave T
Elaine, Are you still able to view the original of the 1847 baptism of John Martin? What does the note about Godparents mean please?
Are George and Sarah the parents or the godparents?
There is a very confusing Pass family in St Johns on the 1851 census. (Search Hannah Pass born 1789 to find it).
Hannah (widow, 62) has a son Martin (17), a daughter Sarah Conquest (30) with her husband George Conquest(32). They married in 1844 and they remained childless in later censuses. Other people in the household are a widowed daughter Emma Shaw and her son Martin Shaw and 2 more grandchildren of Hannah, Harriet Pass, 14 and John Pass 2. Strangely, this John is said to be a scholar (at 2 years old?)
Also a Martin Pass age 52 died in the area in Q4 1842, presumably Hannah's husband.
I am wondering if John Martin was illegitimate son of Sarah who married Goerge Conquest in 1844 then they "adopted" him by baptism in 1847.

Is that a long shot too far?
Dave

Hi Dave,

To answer your long shot I think you have hit the nail right on the head......

Now to your first question.......

I dont have the originals anymore but the database covers all baptisms and the RC ones have godparents/sponsors listed. NOT the C of E baptisms.
Notes: are for any other info that might be in the records. i.e.Some of the RC ones have who they later married.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype