Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: notes in burial registers

Hi Hugh,

Can't say I remember seeing anything like the statements you have stated but then again I am not usually looking at the originals.

City Road was the only one I was familiar with as we have transcribed that.
Christine Steer or Dave Yates would probably have more knowledge. Angela of course would also be a good person to contact if she doesn't see your request.

Just out of interest what was the time period of the burials you requested at Walkley? The Home Office seems to suggest a more recent date.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The re-interments in Walkley were in 1902 and 1907. In general these involved moving recently deceased persons from public graves to a purchased grave.

A book I am reading suggests that the practice was quite commonplace in the 1880s and 1890s, demonstrated by the fact that the Home Office had standard official stationery for replying to requests.

Hugh

Interesting.... Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Hugh
In Burngreave Cemetery, there are five re interments but they are with the permission of the Archbishop of York - in 1867,68,69 74. In the last one, the service was read at home(RC), and the child reburied from a common grave to a purchased one
There is one un-interment in 2006 of somebody buried in 1984 with a Licence number OPR/071/10
There are others re interred in other cemeteries, no details but seem to involve cremated remains. kind regards, Christine

hello Christine,

Thanks very much for these.

I have just been reading a story from 1890 (not local) about a woman who moved three times in a few years after her husband's death, and each time took his body with her to be re-buried in a burial ground near her new home (all with the permission of the Home Secretary).

Not typical!

Hugh