Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maxfield Family and working as sheresmiths and razor finishers

I know that my family worked as sheresmiths, razor finishers and similar occupations in Sheffield throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. I know they lived one time in Thomas Street and Bath Street and Sims Croft. I assume they never moved far. They were all Maxfields.
I would love to find out more details of what their work involved, where they worked, who they might have worked for, did they work at home, etc? Also can I get photos/ pictures?
On a more personal note I would love to find some family photos as my own family have none/ lost them etc. My family tree is public on Ancestry as the McGrail/ Maxfield tree so if you are on there or know anyone who is please get in touch.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help in this quest.

Tony Maxfield

Re: Maxfield Family and working as sheresmiths and razor finishers

Hi Tony,

Many folks do not have Ancestry so if you can be more specific with full names and dates to start us off it would be most helpful.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine. Good thinking!
Henry Maxfield married Catherine Stillings 1833
Thomas Maxfield married Ann Whitaker 1798
John Maxfield married Ann Cooper 1763
John Maxfield married Anne Roddewell 1729
John Maxfield married Maria Milner 1700
Jacob Maxfield married Isabella Foster 1664

Have more information if anyone suspects they're related.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
I’ve just started looking at my family tree, and though I’ve not reached the stage that you are at, I have a Thomas Maxfield and Emily Frost Maxfield living at Bath street in the 1901 census. Thomas and Emily are my great great grandparents. Does this mean anything to you?

Regards,

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa
Nice to hear from you. Thomas is a common name in my family and it seems with Maxfields generally. I don't immediately recognise this one but I do have a Thomas born in 1870. We did all live in Bath Street and Thomas Street around that time. Do you know his parents or any siblings with dates? Glad to help if I can.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have his parents as John and Jane Maxfield. Siblings are
Henry Maxfield 1854
Anne Maxfield 1856
John Maxfield 1858
1861 census, living at Moore Street
Any information that you can give, if any would be very much appreciated.
Regards,
Vanessa