Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Query on a name

Can anyone answer me this question, I have two ancestors in my tree one with the surname name of Cooke and the other Moore I was told that if a person had an E on the end of the surnames this denotes that sometime in the past a person with these name's were executed.
The ones I can think of are Cooke - Moore - Clarke. It does sound very strange but strange things happened in the past.

Re: Query on a name

Marlene

There is absolutely no truth in that whatsoever.
Kindest regards Brian.

My surname is Moore but if you go back in time when people couldn't read or write it was spelt Moor without the e as that was phonetic way. Brian is quite right no truth in it!
Best wishes, John

Thank you for that I was not convinced when they told me but thought I would just check and I knew you on Sheffield Indexes would know.

Moor also appears as Mower. Mawre & suchlike in old, local records, especially in Derbyshire.

Geoffrey

I was told there was an Irish connection to these names (I have Brookes in my family tree) but have never been able to substantiate it.

Whilst researching my tree I have found that the Moore side of my family seems to have come over from America around 1790 from North Carolina and settled in a place called Edingale Staffordshire as an Innkeeper of an alehouse called The Holly Bush.