Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shearman burial site and religious affiliation

Dave,

I just downloaded Larom's history of Townhead Baptist Chapel and have already perused a chunk of it. It's quite charming in its typical nineteenth-century religious verbiage. The are some delicious quotes applicable to my narrative! Thanks for letting me know about it.

Cheers,
Leslie

Dave,
Thank you so much for you speedy and very helpful response. I was at first confused by the death and burial dates of Mary Martha until I remembered that English date conventions are different from those in the US. Now it all makes perfect sense!
I'm actually quite surprised that the Shearmans were affiliated with the Baptist church rather than the Congregationalists. But I'm delighted that you confirmed my assumption that they were non-conformists. This fact is important to my narrative.

One last question: Does the headstone for Grave No. K47 have any inscription?

Cheers,
Leslie

Dave,

Thanks for providing additional information about Charles Larom.

I love how everyone contributed new bits of info--an information "pile-on!"

Cheers,
Leslie

Angela,

Thanks for pointing me to the history of the cemetery on the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust Website. I somehow overlooked that page as I was trying to figure out the different cemeteries in Sheffield. The history was quite illuminating.

Cheers,
Leslie

Hugh,

Thank you for the further info on Larom's Townsend Baptist Chapel. All of you "Indexers" are terrific! How great to have such knowledgeable and helpful folks to help us far-flung researchers.

Cheers,
Leslie