Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Catholic school index

Thank you very much for your reply Elaine. I've had a look at the cherished memories and there's certainly a lot of background information there!
If the RC school records were not deposited at the right place, does this mean they are lost forever?
I,m really trying to find out who she lived with until she went into the orphanage and where she lived as an orphan.
Her name is Margaret Machin, born 11 January 1925 in Scotland Street. Her mother died when she was 5, father was an alcoholic and didn't manage so a relation looked after her for a while and then into the orphanage which apparently was bliss compared to the previous life. I'd just like to know her story- like the rest of us now it's too late to ask,
Best wishes,
Janet

Janet, the most likely "orphanage" would be the Fulwood Cottage Homes. Suggest you google that for background info. The admission records are available at Sheffield Archives.
Dave
Ps there are pictures on the PictureSheffield site of children in the homes

Hi Janet,

I wonder if records could be held by the RC Diocese of Sheffield.
Might be worth while contacting them.

Do you know where she was on the 1939 index?

Have you researched both her mother & fathers siblings to see where she could have lived after her mothers death.

Just a few suggestions that might help.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks again Elaine. I 'was thinking about trying siblings next, there are none on her mothers side as far as I know. What do you mean about the 1939 index? I don't know what that is.
Best wishes,
Janet

Thank you Dave for your reply.
I've read about those homes but had no idea, out of the orphanages listed, which to start with! Your suggestion is very welcome. I hope to go to the archives and have a look on Saturday. I live in Manchester.
Best wishes,
Janet

Hi Janet,

The 1939 Index was a (census) prior to the 2nd WW.

From this they were able to see who was in England and use it to issue ration books etc. I believe they also used this index when the National Heath Services were started in 1948.

Saying that the only access is with FindMyPast.....

Dont forget to use the updated GRO index or FreeBMD for siblings.

As your family were Catholics I would start with the Diocese of Sheffield
and see what information they can give you. Then if they can't offer any suggestions next step Sheffield Archives. Send both an e-mail before you go to
Manchester Archives which will probably NOT have Sheffield information.

Though Daves suggestion of Fulwood Homes which opened 1905 is good I still feel back in the 1920's- 30's they (diocese) would would have wanted separate children's homes for Catholics. I could be totally wrong on this. Scotland St is about two streets away from where St Vincent's was.

Hope this of help to you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Just to add.
The Diocese of Sheffield (Hallam) is a fairly recent formation and came under Leeds prior to 1980.

Have a look at this.
http://hallam-diocese.com/about-doh/

Instant Messenger: Skype