Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Service record for WW1 for a Fred Walker

I know this will be a long shot trying to get a service record for a Fred Walker but here's hoping.
The only information I have for Fred is the 1911 census. Fred was not married until 1919 to Blanche Kitchen.
The 1911 census shows Fred Walker living at 17 Avenue Road, Wrath, with Family. Not Sure, I believe this is Near Rotherham.
Fred was born in Killamarsh 23 October 1897, in the census he was at school.
In a 1939 census Fred Walker was a Collier Hewer
Many records were burnt and lost so this is a very big and a long shot to even get a little information.
The Name being a common name will not help!!!
I always thought the WW1 records were on line but unable to find a link.
Many of the Sheffield index detectives have helped me in the past, and I am hoping a little information will show up
I had a picture sent to me and its very blurred of Fred in I believe an army uniform. This may eliminate other elements of the services.
Barry

Re: Service record for WW1 for a Fred Walker

Is this your Fred Walker (there are a number of them).(7) on FMP

Walker Fred 1898 — 1911 1911 Census For England & Wales Wath upon Dearne, Rotherham, Yorkshire, England

Father Fred mother Blanche.

Have you looked at the GRO index which would give his mothers maiden name.

There are NO military records on either FMP or Ancestry for Fred or Frederick Walker with a birthdate of 1897.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine you have the correct family, I have some information, it was a little on the service records I was looking for. I had just received a picture of Fred in uniform, but as it was a little blurry I am unable to pick out a regiment.
Barry

Hello Barry

What is your connection with this family as my gt grandmother Hannah was sister to Fred Walker Snr

I have a photo of Fred Walker Jnr in his uniform with my grandfather and they both have the same cap badges - my grandfather was in York & Lancaster Regiment.

I have quite a lot of information and other photos of members of the family

Hope this is of help to you - if you want any further information please contact me on my home e-mail: bradfield.history@mypostoffice.co.uk

Regards - Malcolm Nunn

The only service record I can find is one for Fred Walker of 9 Newark Road, Mexborough born 1896. He was a miner. He was a Driver in the 229th Field Company, Royal Engineers No 107181. He was awarded the British & Victory medals.
John

Malcolm I have sent you an e-mail with the knowledge I have of Fred Walker
Thanks Barry

John thank you for the information, I have just e-mailed Malcolm with my little knowledge of the Walker Family. I am hoping to incorporate your information to his.
Again thank you
Barry

Barry

If you look at both John's and my reply you will note that we had both found the same chap.

BUT as I said his birth date is not the one you gave us.

The Census & FreeBMD.Birth Registration......gave us.

"Walker Fred 1898 — 1911 1911 Census For England & Wales Wath upon Dearne, Rotherham, Yorkshire, England "

Sep 1898.
WALKER Frederick Rotherham 9c 701

I believe the one with a 1896 birthdate was a driver with the Royal Engineers.His records were the only ones I could find. His Next of Kin was a sister called Annie. I did not see a sister called Annie on the 1911 census.(1898 Fred)
Which I guess would mean his parents were dead.
FreeBMD has the following
Sep 1896.
Walker Fred Rotherham 9c *29
Walker Fred Rotherham 9c 755

Malcolm's information just might fit the bill.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine, the date of birth for Fred Walker came from Fred Walkers daughter.
Patricia did mention about another child that Fred Walker had with his first wife a daughter named Irene Walker born in Rotherham, born in 1931.
Patricia mentioned that Irene was possible placed with an Uncle Percy (Percival) This Percival is on the 1911 census.
When Patricia talked with me today she happened to mention a lot of the family records and paper work were misplaced when another sister Barbara went to a solicitor, just before she died
That's as much information I have
Thanks Barry