Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greaves Street Walkley

In the 1939 register

Florence HOWSON (1868)
William LINLEY (1853)

Charles C? CAWTHORNE (1905)
Mary CAWTHORNE (1912)
one closed entry

ROWBOTHAM family
Thomas (1882)
Bertha (1885)
7 more entries: 4 CAWTHORNEs and 3 closed entries

Hugh

How near to the school, I have a 1948 dir.

I think it was 4 doors down. There was a gennel below the school, then a house with it's own yard, then they were the 3rd house, between Rowbothams & Lewises if that helps

Thanks so much for that Hugh, that means the address I'm looking for is 157. Rowbothams did have a tribe of kids, never entered my head to check their line. I'll remember that for future searches

Do you have any memory of the farm at the back of those houses (Rawson Spring Farm/Cook's Farm)?

Hugh

155 Jas. Lewis
157 Charles Conrad Cawthorne
159 Wm. Rowbotham

Hugh, what is this register you refer to, can I get access to it, perhaps at the library. Yes I do remember the farm, I'd forgotten about 'til you said, used to sneak on there to play, one day his alsatian chased us off, never been so scared, I could feel it's breath on the back of my skinny little legs! (Are you from this area) Is the farm still there?
You might be able to help with another query. My great great grandfather, Cuthbert Stevenson is listed on the 1861 census as a collier living on Manor Lane & I wondered what pit he might work at, also what number Manor Lane as it's not on the census, any way to find this out.

Thanks for your help Pete, where did you find this info.
Sue

My 1948 Kelly' Directory.

The 1939 Register, which was really a census outside the usual 10-year cycle, was compiled on the eve of WW2. At the moment it is only available at Find My Past.

There were several collieries in the Manor Lane area - this was the prime area for working the 'Barnsley' seam with deep mines.

On the 1851 6" map at http://maps.nls.uk I can see, for example, Manor Pit, Manor Wood Pit, Deep Pit, and an unnamed pit which I know from a later map was Manor Castle Pit.

Hugh

Thanks again Hugh