Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Copley & sons

Thank you Elaine, there aren't many pictures which is a shame but I have found some others of interest do thank you very much for the prompt.
Andrea

Hi Andrea - my grandfather was John Charles Copley and lived in Burngreave in the 1920s but then moved to Bradford. That's all I know at the moment. Trying to find out more as I have just moved back to Yorkshire in the last 5 years and work in Sheffield.

I am not sure how to send a private email.
I am a relative and have some information on Copley's and some photos.

I see Copley knives for sale some times.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-copely-sons-sheffield-sailors-154705531

There are also posts on RootChat website.

John Copley born 1804, died 5.3.1864 and married Ann Bradshaw daughter of Christopher and Christiana Bradshaw also born 1804. Their children:

1) Eliza b 1824 married George Marshall and had Henry and Charles sons.
2) James Copley b 1826. Married Caroline Hawke and had Sarah, Eliza, Elizabeth and John
3) Charles Copley (Cutler) born 1826 married Elizabeth and had Jemima and Albert
4) Mary Ann Copley married John Joel. Their daughter, Kate, was later fostered by brother John Copley.
5) John Copley b 1833 died 10-04-1903 married Harriet Waterfall (whose ancestor was Sheriff of Sheffield), 26-8-1858 at st. Philips. They had:
- John Waterfall who married Elizabeth Hartley,
- Albert Edwin b 1865 died before 1902,
- Sarah (married Joseph Brammer),
- Walter Frank 1868 (married Lena Lainge) had Mousehole Forge, Rivelin,
- Beatrice b 1876.
6) Elizabeth b 1837 married G. Booth,
7) Sarah b 1841 married Albert Waterfall, brother of Harriet.

The Copleys are mentioned in this report of the consecration of Walkley Cemetery in 1880...
https://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/walkleycemetery.htm

Hugh

Thank you Hugh, this is fascinating. I have sent you an message with private contact details for me.

Many thanks
Andres

Hi
I’m a descendant of Charles Copley and his son Henry John Copley. I have just found some information about the factory. If you would like it please do email me. Carole.cairns1@sky.com
I found some table knives with their mark on them a few years ago which I bought for my father. I couldn’t afford one of the spring knives.
How are you related to them.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Carole

Hi Andrea
I’m descended from John Copley through his son Charles. Please feel free to email me. I’m currently looking at the Copley’s and have lots of info on the family. Only a small amount about the factory.
Kind regards Carole

Elizabeth Hartley who married John Waterfall is an ancestor of mine.