Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elizabeth Turner burial in 1916

Morning John.

Turner, Elizabeth (widow, age 74).
Died at 62 Dearn Rd, Sale, Manchester; Buried on May 26, 1916 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 7605, Section V1 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 2571

Two suggestions...... but they may not lead anywhere.

She may have been visiting friends or a child in Sale so finding out who lived on
Dearn Rd would help.

Find out who the plot owner was of the City Road plot.

Fingers crossed that both suggestion might help.

The certificate would be easier.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

John, the 1911 census says her married daughter was called Powell ansd she had been married only one year.
If you use GRO index and search for births with surname Powell and MMN Turner between 1911 and 1916 you will find that there were a handful of births around the country that match those criteria, but none are in Sheffield. However 2 of them are in Manchester (1913 and 1915). Not absolute proof but a definite pointer
Dave.

Hi John and Dave,

I have just been looking at the same family on the 1911 census. Elizabeth Turner, Mother-in-Law, widow, aged 69, born Lincoln. Living with her
her daughter Nellie and son -in-Law Albert Powell. Elizabeth had
twelve children and twelve still alive.

In 1901 at 276 Copster Road, Attercliff-cum-Darnall, Sheffield.
Elizabeth Turner is a widow aged 59 and born in Lincoln.
There are children Richard 21, Annie 18 and Nellie 15.

In 1891 at Bright Street, A-cum-D.
Richard Turner, aged 52, blacksmith, born Lynn, Norfolk.
With him is wife Elizabeth 49, born Lincoln, children Mary 15,
Richard 11, Annie 8, Nellie 5 and Mother-in-Law Ann Seward, widow,
born Mavis Enderby, Lincs.

There is a possible death for Richard in 1898.

Moira.

Thanks for your prompt replies, The death of Richard in 1898 is the correct one, it is he who is buried at Tinsley Park Cemetery.

I was trying to find Dearn Road on the 1911 census but I have been unable to do so. That is unless I am having a senior moment and doing something wrong haha.

Hi John, just checked my old street guide and it only shows Dearne Street not Road. This was 299 Holywell Road Brightside. Perhaps this is this why you couldn't find the road?
Regards Barry Green

She is my great grandmother. The road name is Dane Road. She died at the home of her daughter Lucy Jones (nee Turner). She was born Elizabeth Sewards in Lincoln. If you have an Ancestry subscription look for Elizabeth Sewards and you'll find a small public tree I put up to clear some confusion about her mother. I have all her certificates and have traced all her 12 children. She is buried at City Road cemetery (thanks indexers!) in the same plot as Annie Mary Turner (nee Bouskill) the first wife of her son Francis.

She married Richard on 25 Jan 1861 in Lincoln.

I have an oil painting of Richard Turners' father Francis. This Turner family originated from Snettisham in Norfolk.

I had been looking for years for Elizabeth's death and found it last year as a result of this site. Once I saw Dane Road, Sale I knew I had the right record as daughter Lucy ran a shop there. I assumed she had died in Sheffield but had never been able to find any record. Thanks again Indexers!

1911 census - you'll find Lucy Turner living at 62 Dane Road, Sale where she ran a newsagents. Lucy's husband Robert Owen Jones is a patient in an institution in Didsbury. He died in Lancaster where I now live. I suspect he was transferred to Lancaster Moor Hospital from Didsbury but I haven't confirmed that.

62 Dane Road, Sale is still a newsagents (according to Google Streetview)!

It was at 62 Dane Road where her mother Elizabeth died on 23 May 1916 - widow of Richard Turner a blacksmith (journeyman).

Elizabeth Sewards was born on 11 Mar 1842 at Easts Court Lincoln and baptised 3 Apr 1842 at St Michel on the Mount, Lincoln. She married Richard Turner on 25 Jan 1861 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Clasketgate, Lincoln and they are first recorded in Sheffield on the 1871 census at 92 Dun Street, Atterclife.

Her children (in age order) were: Sarah Ann, Alice, Elizabeth, Francis, Charles, Lucy, Emma, Mary, William, Richard, Annie and Nellie. Some of the men were pawnbrokers.

I have the full records for all the children except:

Alice - last trace 1881 census - a servant in Burngreave Road
Elizabeth - last trace 1939 registration - retired in Colwyn Bay. Can't find a death that would match in that area. Possibly came back to Sheffield?

Thank you Steve for the valuable information. Much appreciated.

John

Happy to help. I've got quite a bit on the Turner, Powell, Parker, Payling & Toulson families if you get stuck.

If you could help me with Richard and Elizabeth kids that would be very hepful. I know about Charles Turner as he married Hannah Lauinda Stiles and therir child Jessie was my grandmother. I never knew her as she died before I was born. John

Ps Elizabeth Sewards had a sister called Harriett. Do you know if she had any more siblings please?

I have seen Harriet on the 1841 census but have found no other records such as a baptism that would confirm she is the daughter of Charles and Ann (and sister of Elizabeth). I'm a little suspicious as she is shown as not being born in Lincolnshire. Without any other evidence she could be a niece or some other relative. Elizabeth had a brother Charles who only lived a few weeks - bapt 13 May 1837, buried 4 Jun 1837

Do you have an Ancestry account? Could you contact me via Ancestry? I'm loath to put my email address on here.

I presume you've got Jessie's birth - 3 Apr 1902 and baptism - 23 Apr 1902 and death 17 Apr 1963 ?

Thanks for your message. I agree with you about Harriett but did not know about her brother so thanks for that. Yes I do know about Jessie birth and death and marriage of course. I do not have an ancestry account. If you click on the MI's link on the left click on the person that does Abbey Lane Cemetery that is my email.

John