Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burkinshaw/Birkinshaw again!

After many years of searching I still have a major brick wall to demolish with these dratted Burkinshaws.
I know that John Burkinshaw c1796 (Tilter) married Mary Denton b1805 in 1836 at Rotherham. He was a widower she was a Spinster.
John, in the 1851 census states Bradfield as his place of birth. I have catalogued ALL the Burkinshaws (various spellings)in the Bradfield, Ecclesfield and Wortley districts with any information I can find online. This has taken an eternity!
Mary belonged to the Loxley Methodist congregation and was buried at Loxley in 1895 with a GEORGE Burkinshaw d1832 age 42 and was the grave owner.
John, on the other hand is also buried at Loxley in a different grave belonging to a William Keen, whom I have no records on. John was buried in 1855.
My dilemas are:
Who was John married to before Mary?
Did I read somewhere that the Victorian naming convention allows the first daughter of a second marriage to be named after the deceased 1st wife? (Therefore in my case it would be "Sarah")
Who was George Burkinshaw?
Who was William Keen?
Who was John's Father?
Please HELP!!!

Re: Burkinshaw/Birkinshaw again!

Hi Delia,

Nice to see your name again........

I wonder if what is happening with these Burkinshaws is so many of the pages at Bradfield are in terrible shape from moisture & fading etc that he is being missed.

I am sure we have been down this road before but always worth a 2nd and 3rd glance. LOL.

Fingers crossed.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I wonder.......

John Burkinshaw
Gender Male
Christening Date 19 Aug 1798
Christening Place WORTLEY BY PENISTONE,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name Joseph Burkinshaw

Instant Messenger: Skype

to add to my first thought.

LOts of Denton's in Ecclesfield. BUT no Mary born 1805.....How about 1803.

Loxley Congregational Church, Wadsley Sheffield 6.
Errected in 1787 and had a burial ground which is where they seem to be buried taken from the info I have.

Baptisms from 1799
Marriages 1926
Burials 1812.

Extracts on the IGI.from 1831.
Original records at Sheffield Archives. Church closed 1994.

Thats all from me.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,
Thank you for your input, every little helps.

Mary Denton was the oldest daughter of John & Rachel (nee Parkin) and was Christened at Sheffield Parish Church in 1805 as were two other siblings until 1813 when the subsequent ones were Christened at Loxley. A possible family conversion to Methodism at that time.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I probably will never find out who John Burkinshaw's parents were. Which would be such a shame as I have hundreds of Burkinshaws further back to link him to. The one you found in Wortley is the closest one I have found and is very possible. Would Wortley be included in the Bradfield district?

There is also a Baptism for a James & John Birkinshaw 1797 in the B.T.'s, sons of Jonathan (filesmith)& Mary in Sheffield, Church unknown.

I went to the Sheffield Archives many years ago to view the Loxley Baptism book, it was a beautiful and precious object and I painstakingly worked my way through it. Never enough time though.

As John was a Tilter I have used this as a reference point throughout my research looking through Apprentice indentures etc and never found any record of him. Mary's father John Denton was a Tilter and possibly they worked together at the Old Wheel, Wortley.

Mary, a spinster of 31yrs at the time of her marriage (quite old for marriage in those times), lived to be 90.

One day hopefully I will get a breakthrough.

Kind Regards
Delia

Hi Delia,

Last night I was plowing my way through more baptisms for St Nicholas, Bradfield.

This is my transcription and the page was not very clear plus its not the right time frame. It hasn't been checked by Malcolm.

Hannah Denten (John) abode. Oneacre. 26th June 1754.

John Birkinshaw (Thomas) Abode Bolsterstone.
5th Aug 1753.

Save it and it just might bear fruit down the road. Bolsterstone due North of Bradfield (St Mary's C of E). Separate Parish but I dont know off hand when the church was built.(Google)

Elaine in Ottawa.

These facts will also help.

At that time Bolsterstone was within the large parish of Ecclesfield and the chantry soon turned into a public chapel as it became a popular place of worship for the local population because of the large distance to travel to the parish church of St Mary’s, Ecclesfield or its sister church St Nicholas, Bradfield. From its early days the chapel was also used as a day school for local children, this practice stopped in 1686 because the building was deemed unsuitable and a new free day school was built nearby.

Elaine.

Sorry about the separate entries. Bravenet seems to have lost the edit capabilities.

So to add..

The Bolsterstone Entries mid 1700's are entered into the Bradfield Registers.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank You Elaine for contributing and taking the time to look for me.
I WILL get further back with my research.
Cheers
Delia

Just caught my eye as I have been researching Dentons and came across a case widely reported in the newspapers, in the summer of 1844, as "The Sheffield Riots". One John Denton got 15 months in prison for assaulting a blackleg, Thomas Burkinshaw, at Thurgoland (Denton from Silkstone). So there is definitely summat going on between Burkinshaws and Dentons!