Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: George TOMLINSON, joiner and daughter Annie

I am fairly sure that "George" TOMLINSON in that baptism is a mistake in the register - he is Charles. There are several other baptisms of children of Charles and Dinah at St Philips and Annie is with them in 1881. Charles TOMLINSON married Dinah SPENCE in Ecclesall B in 1874.

GRO Birth SEP Qtr 1875
TOMLINSON, ANNIE mmn SPENCE
ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 383

Hugh

Hello Mary
Have looked at the positive findings of her in 1871 and 1881 and there does seem to be a consistent link to Jacksons. In 1872 she is 11 and "visiting" William and Ann Roberts and also staying there were two Jackson's, one a cousin of the head. Ann Roberts was actually Ann Jackson before marriage.
In 1881 Annie is 21 and with Reuben KIRK and his wife Mary ( also nee Jackson) and is "cousin".
All this happens in Nottinghamshire (Basford)though Annie was born in Sheffield.
The following records give a possible scenario:
In 1871, on 9th March (a few weeks before the census) a Samuel TOMLINSON died age 31 registered BASFORD
Samuel married Ann KIRK in Basford in 1863. That is 3 years after Annie was born.
In December quarter 1859 an Ann Kirk was born in Sheffield. The GRO says blank for Mother Maiden Name so I assume illegitimate.
The theory is that Ann Kirk "became" Ann(ie)Tomlinson after the marriage of her mother to Samuel Kirk.
I have not traced what happened to Samuel's wife, who I assume was Annie's mother.
To prove it would probably need certificates, though perhaps you can find a link between Ann Kirk and Reuben Kirk.
Sorry it seems a bit convoluted, but I guess some possibility is better than none.I hope it leads to something positive.
Good Luck with it.
Dave

Mary, there is a definite link between Ann Kirk born Sheffield 1859 and Reuben Kirk born Basford 1851. It turns out that they are cousins. Reuben was the illegitimate son of Sarah Kirk and Ann was the illegitimate daughter of Ann Kirk. Sarah and Ann were sisters. Therefore it is conclusive that Ann(ie) Tomlinson was born Ann Kirk in Sheffield in 1859. She is with her unmarried mother Ann in Basford in the 1861 census.
Dave

Thank you so much for this! That's given me a lot to investigate! On Annie's marriage certificate her father was listed as George Tomlinson, joiner. We may be finally getting somewhere!
Cheers, Mary