Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KIA Death Certificate??

Hi just a quick question .. if a relation was Killed in Action overseas, did their death have to registered back home?? I have 2 relations killed in action one in WW1 and one WW2 but can't find a death registered for either of them. Just wondered as I was watching a repeat of WDYTYA (Alex Kingston) and she had a death certificate for a relation killed in France during WW1 so I'm a bit confused

Re: KIA Death Certificate??

Hi Dawn,

I have my grandfather Wilson's Death Certificate from WW1.

Doesn't say much just date of death and Killed in Action.

If I remember correctly they do not show on the regular GRO Index. I can't remember how I applied for it. It's 17 years ago now since I received it.

What does it say on the Commonwealth War Graves Commissions pages. They are great to deal with. If you are looking for a photo of the grave they will send someone out to photograph it for you.

Must admit I would like to know how & what my grandfather died of. As an old nurse it's of interest. Never followed that line of inquiry.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine. Both relations KIA but unfortunately no bodies could be retrieved but their names are mentioned on Thiepval memorial (WW1) and Cassino Memorial (WW2). I have service records from WW1 and photos of the memorials and as you say information from the war graves commission but just wondered about death certificates and if deaths had to be registered or not. Like you say I don't suppose I would find any extra information from any certificate than what I already have. Thanks for your quick response

What are the names of the people you are interested in? I just wondered if they could be in the GRO died overseas section thats all. JOhn

The deaths will be registered in the British Armed Forces indexes. These are available on FMP

Angela

Hi John. Both men were named Frederick Henry Butler (the younger named after the elder) they were both killed the same way apparently due to heavy bombing. Fred Henry Snr was killed on the Somme 3/7/1916 York and Lancs 10th No. 13543 he's mentioned on the Thiepval Memorial. Fred Henry (younger) was killed 1/8/1943 The Royal Buffs 8th Battalion No.4546714 at Monte Cassino and his name is on the Cassino Memorial.I've got quite a lot of information about Fred 1 and a bit about Fred 2.
Frederick Henry doesn't appear to be a very lucky name in the Butler side as I was told that Fred WW1 was named after another relation who died after being injured in a football match.
Thank you for your message x

Thanks Angela. Unfortunately I had to choose between FMP and Ancestry as I couldn't afford both at once. Looks like I chose the wrong one just my luck.
Doesn't look like I'd get any more information from their death certificates anyway but I was more puzzled than anything.
Thank you for your answer.

We obtained my husbands Grandfather's death cert KIA from the GRO at Stockport. It didn't give us much information at all. The most useful info was from the Commonwealth War Graves site and also his Army Records which were unfortunately "BURNT" but reasonably legible. There was talk about records held by the Red Cross in Geneva which show how the person died .These records though have to be digitised as yet and I suppose this will take a great deal of money and time. They would be a treasure trove of information especially as so many of the service records from WW1 have been destroyed in bombing in WW2.

Hi Margaret. I think I've been very lucky to have found all my relations service records from WW1 so I have quite a lot of information on them all. I know a lot of people haven't been so lucky if theirs was one that was lost in the fire.
I don't think I'll find anything else that I haven't already got on their death certificates. Thank you for your message and good luck with your family search

Daft question but do you know if they left wills that could give you more info?

Not a daft question John. If you dont ask you dont learn.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi John. Not that I know of. I looked on a site that had wills of persons killed in service (can't remember the site now) I think it cost £10 to buy a copy. There was a Frederick Henry Butler killed about the same date but the service number was different so I didn't want to buy it and find it was the wrong Fred. I know Fred 1 was married so I imagine everything went to his wife Lucy, Fred 2 I believe was single and only 22 when he was killed. Terrible thing war

There is a site on Ancestry called Army Registers of Effects and I have seen the other ones entry so don't bother with that.

Your mans name isn't in the effects book as it would tell us who the army paid his dues and demands to.

This register only applies to WW1.

Cheers Roger.

Thank you for looking for me Roger x