Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1901 census South Yorkshire Asylum

Can anyone tell me if this census exists. My great grandmother Mary Ann SMITH (born 1855 Wolverhampton) is not with her husband Frederick b 1852 and children on the 1901 census and I've never been able to find them on the 1911 census.

I've just found this burial

SMITH, Mary Ann (Wife of F Smith, age 56).
Died at South Yorks Asylum; Buried on August 1, 1907 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 19, Section R of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

I've found out that this Mary Ann Smith was admitted 25/4/1907 and died 28/7/1907. Just wondered if she had been admitted in 1901 the census would show where she was born.

Many thanks

Jenny

Re: 1901 census South Yorkshire Asylum

Jenny

I transcribed the Asylum admission registers and if she was in the asylum in 1901 then her admission would be listed. The Mary Ann Smith you have quoted is aged 54.

1684 23/09/1880 Mary Ann Smith F 27 Housewife of Shipley Recovered
3053 17/11/1885 Mary Ann Smith F 25 Charwoman Not known Not Known
7951 25/04/1907 Mary Ann Smith F 54 Sheffield 28/07/1907 Died

There was no Mary Ann Smith in the asylum in 1901.

Angela

Thank you for looking it up for me Angela. It was just an idea I had as I couldn't find her.

Jenny

where was Frederick Smith in 1901? If Mary not with him could she be with relatives somewhere. Are you sure too that the Mary Ann Smith you found on the burial section of this site is your one. John

Hi John

Frederick was living at 298 School Road with George F 23, Percy 19, Lewis 18 and 4 daughters. I thought at first she could be with relatives but I've never been able to find her.

Due to the common surname I'm not 100% sure the burial is the right one.

In 1911 the 2 younger daughters Ivy and Olive are both in service so that was another reason I thought I might have found the "right" Mary Ann.

I might send for more information about the admission in the Sheffield Asylum hoping it will shed some light on the matter.

Jenny

Hi
Have looked at the 1901 census and found a Mary Ann Smith, born 1854 in Sheffield. She is visiting a friend at Trafalgar Street in Sheffield and is shown as being married. Could this be her?
Carol

Hi Caroline

My Mary Ann was born in Wolverhampton but I suppose it could be her. I'll take a look, thank you.

Jenny

Have a look on here

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/research-guides/mental-health.html

That's where I originally found Mary Ann but thanks for posting the link as it might come in useful for others.

Jenny