Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harriet Stanley age 13 in 1851

Just trying to tie up a loose end. Harriet is in the 1851 census in Gatefield, Ecclesall Bierlow. Her father John Stanley and Mother Ann (Dyson) married in 1842 in Sheffield, at least 3 years after Harriet was born. In 1861 her parents are in Nook lane Stannington but Harriet has gone. There is a Harriet Stanley age 23 in service in Oughtibridge in 1861 but she is said to be born Bradfield. Can anyone please find a birth/ baptism for her either as Stanley or Dyson in either Sheffield or Bradfield .
Dave

Re: Harriet Stanley age 13 in 1851

GRO shows:
STANLEY, HARRIET COE
GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in ECCLESFIELD Volume 22 Page 130

which is probably the servant from Bradfield, with a mother formerly Coe.

Can we be sure Ann Dyson wasn't previously married? There is another potentially interesting entry:
DYSON, HARRIETT BIBBS
GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW UNION Volume 22 Page 128

Geoffrey

Geoffrey, thanks. I am sure you are right about the first.
Ann Dyson was definitely not previously married. I shall explore your second option. Thank you again
Dave

Geoffrey, thanks again. I am afraid the Bibbs ref does not check out either.
Regards, Dave

Is Harriet married,

Marriages Mar 1854
BUCKLEY Charley Wortley 9c 165--28 IN 61
Stanley Harriet Wortley 9c 165---23 IN 61

BUCKLEY, FRED STANLEY Order
GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in WORTLEY AND PENISTONE Volume 09C Page 173

Pete, thank you. I have not followed that because I am only interested in her line backwards. I know where she was in 1851and I want to find her in 1841 or her birth record which I assume must have been just before registration or a baptism record.
Regards, Dave

In 1841 there is a Harriet Stanley living with parents and siblings but they are shown as Hanley - they are living Oughtibridge, Bradfield

Name Age
John Hanley 25
Mary Hanley 25
Sarah Hanley 5
John Hanley 5
Harriet Hanley 3
Benjamin Hanley 1

familysearch has a harriet baptised
Harriet Stanley
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening: 15 April 1838 Ecclesfield, York, England
residence: Bradfield, York, England
father: John Stanley
mother: Mary Ann Stanley

There is also a marriage for a John Stanley to a Hannah Glossop in 1833 Bradfield. Could this be the Ann!!!
To complicate things further there is a marriage of John Stanley to Hannah Ibbotson in 1833.

On the 1851 census John is down as widower - the death register shows Hannah Stanley death 1849

Lots of things to check out.

Sue, thank you. Well spotted the Hanley/Stanley mix up. Unfortunately none of those is the correct family. The family I am interested in is:
John Stanley bachelor Married Ann Dyson spinster in 1842 in Sheffield
According to GRO over the next few years the following Stanley/Dyson births occurred in first Sheffield then Ecclesall Bierlow.
1842 Joseph,
1844 Sarah Ann died before 1851
1845 William
1848 Mark died within a year
1850 Emily
1853 Mary Ann
1856 Clara.
These children allow to positively identify the family in 1851, 1861,1871 and 1881 censuses and I have done that. In 1851 they are in Gatefield , then in the next 3 censuses they are in Stannington. More proof that it is the correct family throughout is that in 1871 they have a niece with them and that niece is the daughter of Ann's sister Selina Dyson.
The problem is the 1851 census. , There is an extra child called Harriet Stanley and she is 13, so born at least 3, possibly 4 years before the marriage (which was 1842). I am trying to find a birth registration for that child, presumably illegitimate, presumably Harriet Dyson.
Sorry my question was not clear enough before
Dave