Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ecclesfield christenings

Hi Peter,

Do you have this burial from Ecclesfield?

HOYLAND John 9 May 1817 Bracken Hill 26

I believe this is the 1790 John

Which is probably the reason for only finding two children John 1814 & Martha 1816

Parents John & Elizabeth Hoyland..... Nail maker.

If you are interested in obtaining these CD... are you aware of Genfair?

http://www.genfair.co.uk/supplier_list.php

Look for Sheffield & District Family History Society.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS.

Having checked Timothy Hoyland out and the two generations prior to him they seem to come from Wortley by Penistone if thats any help to you. Try Family Search for those.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Peter,
James Foster son of Nathaniel Foster baptised at St. Mary's Ecclesfield on Mar. 2, 1788. Nathaniel is of Windmill Hill at that time, but seems to change address between Ecclesfield, Windmill Hill and Brackin Hill as there are 9 baptisms listed from 1768 to 1788 for children of Nathaniel Foster at St. Mary's with the 3 locations as above.
Helen C.

Hi Helen

Thanks for that, that takes me back another generation (always exciting when that happens!). I don't suppose there is a marriage for Nathaniel on your CD?

Hope the sinuses are better today-a lovely summer day here in Melbourne!

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter

I looked for Foster baptisms, father Nathan, at Tankersley. None came up.

Anne

Hi Peter,

Dont think anyone has given you this.

FOSTER, Nathan (, died on ?, at the age of 81).
Resided at Bracken Hill and buried on 22 Aug 1853 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Marys Cemetery, Ecclesfield.

The index doesn't always show the parents names but I will have a further look for Bracken Hill Fosters.

Regards
Elaine in Ottawa.

PS. I can't seem to match my Bracken Hill Hoylands to yours.
But its strange. As someone else mentioned not that many families in that area.

This is mine.

HOYLAND, Timothy (, died on ?, at the age of 59).
Resided at Bracken Hill and buried on 13-10-1901 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Marys Cemetery, Ecclesfield.

Hi Elaine

The Nathaniel FOSTER burial looks like Nathaniel FOSTER's son Nathaniel, born in 1772. His father's death I guess would be any time post 1787.

Hi Anne

I noticed Ancestry has a marriage of Nathaniel FOSTER and Ann THOMPSON on 1 Jan 1767, rather than 1766. What was the source you had for the 1766 date?

I have also found that someone on Ancestry has an extensive family tree involving this family, so I might check in with them also.

EDIT: A look at some of the Ancestry trees suggest people think that the Nathaniel FOSTER who married Ann THOMPSON at Tankersly in 1767 (?) was baptised in Appleton-le-Street in 1747. I can see there's a baptism there but if its young Nathaniel he must have travelled south west about 70-odd miles to meet and marry Ann. Not impossible I guess. Or are people clutching at straws?

Hi,

FOSTER Nathan 22 Aug 1853 Bracken Hill 81
FOSTER Nathan 28 Dec 1813 Windmill Hill 68

Thats the two from Ecclesfield.

Elaine. in Ottawa.

Thanks Elaine

That age of death for the earlier Nathan FOSTER puts him in the same age ballpark as the 1747 christening in Appleton. What do people think? IS it the same man? (I presume there's no Nathaniel FOSTER christenings in Ecclesfield around 1745-1748)

Morning Peter,

I have looked at Family Search and then to my Ecclesfield Baptismal cd.
S&DFHS transcribed the CD.

This is what I find interesting.

16 Apl 1746 *FOSTARD Nathan Alex Mortomley
30 Mar 1690 FOSTER Alex Alexander
22 Feb 1645 FOSTER Alexand Alexander
29 Feb 1719 FOSTER Alexand r Alex Ecc inB T
4 Aug 1608 FOSTER Alexsande Aliciae
16 Mar 1650 FOSTER Alice Alex
25 Oct 1616 FOSTER Ann James
2 Oct 1636 FOSTER Ann Alex
19 Nov 1682 FOSTER Ann Alexander
15 Mar 1716 FOSTER Ann Alex Nalor Ecclesfield

There is NO Nathan listed under *FOSTER for that time period.

You would probably need to look at the original. It does look promising.
Do you have access to FindMyPast?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

So what I get from your last post is

-there were FOSTERs in the Ecclesfield area well before the Nathaniel FOSTER who was christened in Appleton Le Street in 1747, and

-that the Nathan FOSTARD baptised on 16 April 1746 might well be him.

Have I got that right?

I don't have access to FMP unfortunately. Ancestry is my one indulgence.

Many thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes that is exactly how I interpret it.

BUT as we all know we can be easily led astray. LOL.

Unfortunately like yourself I have Ancestry.

Have you checked Family Search.. It wont give you the image of the actual register but may pop up other info.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Peter,

Yes that is exactly how I interpret it.

BUT as we all know we can be easily led astray. LOL.

Unfortunately like yourself I have Ancestry.

Have you checked Family Search.. It wont give you the image of the actual register but may pop up other info.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Familysearch gives us Nathan FOSTARD, christened 16 Apr 1746 in Ecclesfield, father Alex FOSTARD. Given the frequency of the Alex christian name among the other FOSTER baptisms you mention I'd be prepared to believe that the transcription is an error, and that he was a FOSTER. A shame we don't have the original image to check.

Well I've now seen the original entry thanks to Anne, and it does unfortunately appear that its not a transcription error- it clearly looks like FOSTARD in the register. The father is from Mortomley.

I guess on that basis, unless we can accept that it was a one-off error by the Vicar, that he's not a FOSTER. I notice also that Familysearch has three other FOSTARD baptisms in Ecclesfield in this period, to three separate fathers.

Oh well, maybe Appleton-le-Street it is!

I think Fostard/Foster are the same name, the mistake was from the clergyman. Did he mis-hear?
There is a baptism for Sarah FOSTER, 2 Sep 1748; father = Alexander FOSTER also of Mortomley.
Too much of a coincidence?

Another example
There is a baptism for George FOSTARD in 1746, father = John of Commonside.
There is a baptism for Sarah FOSTER in 1748, father = John, also of Commonside.

Anne

Anne
I think Fostard/Foster are the same name, the mistake was from the clergyman. Did he mis-hear?
There is a baptism for Sarah FOSTER, 2 Sep 1748; father = Alexander FOSTER also of Mortomley.
Too much of a coincidence?

Another example
There is a baptism for George FOSTARD in 1746, father = John of Commonside.
There is a baptism for Sarah FOSTER in 1748, father = John, also of Commonside.

Anne

But there's also Mary FOSTARD in 1748 father Samuel in Ecclesfield, meaning the Vicar would have to have mis-heard on three (including Nathan) separate occasions with three separate fathers. There are also FOSTARDs being baptised at Tickhill 15 years latter, presumably by another Vicar.

Having said that, there are FOSTARDs around in Yorkshire in the 1841 census and later, but not in the Ecclesfield area.

I just don't think we've got enough to be conclusively sure unfortunately.

Helen C.
Hi Peter,
Thanks, but I don't feel on the ball today. I have a rotten sinus cold.
Amelia Foster bap. Feb. 19,1826, Sam I. Foster bap. Aug. 5, 1827, William Foster bap. Mar. 7, 1830, and Henry Foster bap. July 29, 1832, all at St. Mary's Ecclesfield, parents James and Hannah Foster this time written as being of Brackenhill, and James is still a nailer. No the marriage only shows the bride and groom's names, nothing more. Do you know when James or Hannah were born approx. and I can see if I can find them in the Ecclesfield baptisms that I have.
Helen C.

I wonder........

Brackenhill where in the Ecclesfield area was it?

I think James being a Nailer as many were in the Ecclesfield area is also a clue.

I would stay local to be honest. BUT as we all know folks did move around.

Dont give up.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine- Brackenhill seems to be about 2 miles NW of St Mary's Ecclesfield. Windmill Hill was less than a mile E of Brackenhill. So it is very local-except for Appleton- Le-Street.

I'm new to this so have only just seen your message Bracken Hill is one mile straight up from Chapeltown roundabout going up Burncross Road you come to a cross roads turn left and that is Bracken Hill on your right hand side just as you turn there is a pub called Acorn Inn.