Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kirk

I have so far Hugh Kirk married to Mary Jackson in 1857. I would like to trace as far back as possible to complete the Kirk family line if anyone has an idea on this. Many thanks in anticipation.

Re: Kirk

Have you found them on the 1861 census this will give you their ages and where they were born,

What are their ages on the marriage certificate, you need a copy of the said certificate and this will give their father's names and occupations enabling you to find them on earlier census. You have to prove as you go OR you could end up the wrong tree. I can tell you that this marriage took place at St Johns, Park district(information from the marriage locator). A copy could be obtained from the archives for 20p or take your camera and film it.

It always helps when making an enquiry if you give ages and dates.

There is a baptism at SS Peter & Paul 4 Oct 1835 born 8 Sep 1835 for A Hugh Kirk son of Hugh and Margaret, a Cutler. There is no guarantee that this is who you are looking for without the details from the marriage certificate.

Angela

Hi Angela I have found them in 1861 census as living at Commonside Handsworth and I know this is correct. Yes his parents are the Hugh and Margaret you refer to. Hugh senior born about 1804 although not sure where and unsure of Margaret's maiden name. Thank you very much for your help.

Hugh KIRK and Margaret HINCHLIFFE were married 9 Sept 1824 at SS Peter and Paul Sheffield.

The marriage entry /certificate is on Find My Past.

The 1851 census gives Sheffield as the place of birth for Hugh (snr) and Margaret.

Angela

Many thanks Angela.

Hugh Kirk baptised 5th October 1803, Sheffield Parish Church (Cathedral).
Parents - Hugh and Lucy, (Silver plater).

Margaret Hinchliffe baptised December 1802, Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents - Saml' and Mary, (Cutler).

There is a marriage at Rotherham on 16th April 1797, between
Hugh Kirk and Lucy Foster.

I presume you already know that Hugh and Margaret are both buried
at St. John, Park, Sheffield.

Moira.

Re Hugh Kirk and Lucy Foster marriage in 1797. Would anyone be able to tell me where Hugh was born? I have only been able to find Lucy's family so far. Many thanks.

There's a public tree on Ancestry which has Hugh Kirk born in Alnwick, Northumberland in 1779.

http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14800633/person/237756114/facts

A burial in Ecclesall in 1814 says "Hugh Kirk, soldier age 36"

The Ancestry tree has quite a few notes attached and the owner clearly has some doubts about whether the baptism and burial are the same person.

Caroline

Thank you Caroline, not what I expected so I will look into this possibility !

Ancestry shows Hugh Kirk's apprenticeship record to Smith & Co of Sheffield, 'platers', 23/5/1792, for 7yrs, 6m & 11d. This suggests that he would have turned 21 on 4 Dec 1799, & you should be looking for a baptism around Christmas 1778. There are plenty of Kirks in the Cutlers' records, but the name Hugh points towards Scotland, Northumberland or Ulster.

Geoffrey

Hello Geoffrey thank you so much for your help. Very interesting re apprenticeship etc. I'm still looking for the church record of Hugh Kirk's marriage to Lucy Foster at the moment to find Hugh's birthplace. My very amateur findings so far have led to a possible Dunfermline family but of course I could be wrong ! :)

More here on the Alnwick family (Rootschat thread from a few years ago - possibly the same person as the owner of the Ancestry tree I linked above)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=423578.0

Caroline

Thank you very much for that Caroline. So much information there, I'm pretty sure of the connection there and I'll certainly check it out.

You can find the Bishop's Transcripts of Alnwick baptisms by going into FamilySearch, clicking on Great Britain on the world map, then scroll down the list till you come to England Durham Bishop's Transcripts (or something like that). Then click on Northumberland, then Alnwick, then image 84; then you'll find the baptism record of John George Kirk, b 1796, but baptized 30/8/1801. This has more detail than the previous family christenings & shows 'George Kirk, porter at Alnwick Castle, native of Sheffield, Yorkshire, by his wife Frances Dudney, Native of Dublin, Ireland.'

I think this info makes the identification of Hugh from this marriage with the Sheffield silver-plater a likelihood, rather than just a long shot. The Rootschat information about military connections possibly makes the identification with the 'soldier' buried at Ecclesall in 1814 less unlikely too. By the way, I couldn't find Hugh's baptism on the BTs -there are often gaps.

Geoffrey

I just googled & got George's obituary in the Gentleman's Magazine: died 1814, aged 71 -wounded at Bunker's Hill, apparently.

Also, the same search found this posting:
George Kirk, porter at Alnwick Castle for 36 years, died there in 1814, sergeant major in the 5th Regiment of Foot and severely wounded at Bunker's Hill. Born in Sheffield, allegedly enlisted at the age of 12. Awarded a silver military medal for 21 years service in 1769 (now in Fusilier Museum at the castle) presented by Earl Percy, colonel of the 5th.

Must do some work now!

Geoffrey

Thank you very much Geoffrey. I am familiar with Familysearch it's been really useful but I certainly wouldn't have found all the info that you did for me! It does seem very likely that it is my(however many) grt grandad. I'm so grateful for all the help that everyone on this forum gives, it's fascinating!

Geoffrey I think the phrase goes......you're a legend or something like it!! I can't tell you how pleased I am to learn all this, many thanks again for your all your time so far.