Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Birtin Cemetery Oughtibridge

Hi Elaine

Angela is right. You are correct there is a Willie & Edna (children) in the Church of Ascension. The Willie & Edna in Birtin are adults, I should have added there dates on my original post.

Willie 1919-1991
Edna 1922-2011

Regards
David

Please do not follow up on my request. I took a trip up to Oughtibridge myself and found it. I was lucky when I arrived at Birtin as the groundsman was on site and when asking him for info he produced a full list of names which was ver helpful as I found more of my family there.

Hi David,

I wonder if he would be willing to share the list with us?

Do you have a way of contacting him.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

With hindsight I wish I had asked that question....my understanding is he works for Sheffield Council so they must also have a copy. Unfortunately Im going back down to kent ( Im in Nottingham at present) tomorrow utherwise I would go back and try. I do intend to do another trip again soon so will put it on my list to do.

PS the list is in the groundsmans lodge on site so if anyone else local could go along and ask?

Hi David,

Dont worry about it......

I will try and find out.....

Were there any Ibbotson's in there........

Elaine.

Just to put the record straight - Birtin Cemertery is owned and maintained and staffed by Bradfield Parish Council and does not have any connection with Sheffield City Council.

It opened in 1906 when the Oughtibridge Church of Ascension graveyard was full and in the mid 1960s a further section was added at Birtin when the Walls of Remembrance were constructed, these being for ashes of loved ones.

The records for Birtin Cemetery are held on a database in Bradfield Parish Council Offices and any enquiries etc. should be addressed to them on e-mail: admin@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk or telephone 0114-2851375 between 9am and 3pm

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the update re Birtin Cemetery.

I may as well put the e-mail addy under our MI's.
Or should I say have Dave do it.

Just been to the LDS so may have time to do more Bradfield transcriptions.

Thanks Elaine.

Hi David,
Willi and Edena are my reltives. My father was Willies brother.
Michelle

Hi,
I know this was some time ago but did you manage to get a picture of the headstone? Bill and Edna were close friends of my grandparents and they are buried a few rows away so I could get you a picture when I am next at the cemetery.

Regards

Anne

Hi Anne

Thanks for the offer, but I did get a photo of there grave.

David